Thread: Helleborus

Real Name
    Joanne

Helleborus

Bought myself a "nifty-fifty".....

j.

dsc_0012-2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th May 2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: trying to enlarge thumbnail

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Helleborus

Quote Originally Posted by boulderwood View Post
    Bought myself a "nifty-fifty".....
    Congratulations Joanne.

I couldn't see the EXIF data, but I think you maybe shot this with the lens wide open, or pretty near wide open. What the nifty-fifty does is extend the range of depth-of-field that's available to you and, quite rightly, when we first start using it we throw it wide open and see what the effect is.

I think what we've then got to start deciding is when we need a very narrow depth-of-field and when we need it a bit wider. For a shot such as this, I think there is an argument to say that all the flower heads in focus with the background out-of-focus could have made a stronger image. Many people, maybe including yourself, would disagree. So, let's see what folks say about that.

Real Name
    Joanne

Perhaps this isn't the place to ask but ....how do I include the EXIF data?

j.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Joanne

What happens is that all the EXIF inroamtion (Camera, lens, shutter speed, aperture, iso, whether the sun was shining - sorry that last one is not really true - and a lot more,) is automatically recorded in the digital file whenever you press the shutter. So, what we normally see is, of course, the picture. But behind it and normally hidden from view, is all the EXIF data.

A lot of post processing software retains that information all the way through all through the processing activity. And then, when you post it up into a post on here, it is still embedded in the file. Then ...... there are plug-ins you can get for some, if not all web browsers. I use Firefox and have a plug-in loaded into that. This means that I can right-click my mouse on the picture and one of the menu options is 'View Exif Data'. I choose that and 'hey presto' I can see al that information about when you shot it, how you shot it etc.

But .............

With some post-processing software, that EXIF information gets stripped out and it doesn't get posted when the image is put up here. That happens with my pictures because I use the GIMP software.

So, what do you do instead. Well, if you have a look at one of my posts (try this one), you'll see that I type in the basic information below the picture. Now, some people aren't in the least interested in this. And some people want to see it all the time. I think that when you are asking for comment and criticism and particularly when you feel you are really climbing along the learning curve, it's always helpful for people to know that sort of shooting information in order to be able to offer the best possible advice and guidance.

Real Name
    Joanne

Thanks again Donald! I am using a MacBook and when I "right-click" on the photos here I do not have an option to view the EXIF data.

I use Lightroom 4 for post processing.

In the future I will add the data to my posts.

Love your agility photos...I do agility with my two dogs as well.

j.