Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Heron Season has Begun

Real Name
    Victor Rakmil

The Heron Season has Begun

heron-16-may-2013.jpgThis is my first Heroan of the season. The weather being poor etc. they have not yet arrived in numbers. This was also the first time I used the 300mm with a 1.7 converter. 500mm ISO 250 f9 1/800. Still working on sharpening in Lightroom but I think I got it right here. (I forget how you remove the thumbnail - hope that does not cause grief).

The Heron Season has Begun
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VR8; 17th May 2013 at 08:14 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: The Heron Season has Begun

Can't see the image, Victor. Clicked on the thumnail but the image that came up was pretty small.

Real Name
    Victor Rakmil

Thank, the upload engine here is a bit hard. Hope I got it right this time

Real Name
    Dan

I've been linking rather than using the upload. Seems to be more straight forward.

I visited you galleries and you have some excellent stuff in there. I appreciate this image more after seeing your style. Great detail on the bird and it is on an interesting perch. This demonstrates its natural camo. The left side of the frame is a bit messy. Will be interested to see more of your images.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Very nice image. I agree with Dan, in that, the shot really shows the heron in its natural environment. It makes you feel as if you were lucky enough to unexpectedly find him in the wild without scaring him away. I like the way that the blue-grey log runs diagonally through the frame, but I wonder what it would be like if you cropped slightly from the left side to make it a true diagonal.

Real Name
    Victor Rakmil

I see your viewpoint on the cropping, however, nature is messy. The Herons are usually fairly numerous where we are and as the summer goes on they get used to people. It becomes harder to get them hiding in the background like this.

All that said I have a question about formats - if you were to crip would retain the aspect ratio, that would leave some mess?

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    ...All that said I have a question about formats - if you were to crip would retain the aspect ratio, that would leave some mess?
    Victor, I'd recommend trying an 8x10 lanscape format crop with most/all of the clipping taken off the left side.

While I'm sure we all agree that nature is messy, part of the art of photography is to focus the viewer's attention on the desired subject. As I mentioned previously, I looked through your galleries and everything I saw there was superior to this photo in that regard. Though many of the photos in your gallery are fairly wide and include habitat, they all succeeded in focusing my attention on the primary subject.

The heron in this image is well exposed, has good detail, and is on an interesting perch. The perch and area immediately surrounding the bird highlight it's natural camoflage. But IMO the area to the left adds nothing to enhance the photo and in fact distracts attention.

By the way some of the architectural/urban photography on your site is awesome. You really have a great eye for recognizing opportunities.

Real Name
    Victor Rakmil

I stand corrected, it looks better this way. And its up on my rakmilphotography.wordpress.com blog

heron-16-may-2013-2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VR8; 18th May 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

I like it better, Victor. Nice.

Real Name
    Tom

Not much to say in addition to all the positive said about this already, stunning!

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful photo

Real Name
    Victor Rakmil

Thanks for the compliments and the push to 8x10!