Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 400D/ Rebel XTi

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Canon 400D/ Rebel XTi

Hi, again.

A second hand Canon 400D is available (I had mentioned in an earlier post of mine that its pretty difficult to get a second camera here, in India, or my city at least.). Should I go for it? Is it a nice camera? From what I have read about it, its good. What are the things I need to notice before going in for a second hand camera?

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Canon 400D/ Rebel XTi

Personally, I wouldn't buy in the xxxD range again - I'd get something in the xxD range (30D, 40D etc).

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

xxD range would be too expensive, right?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    xxD range would be too expensive, right?
    A little more, but it'll cost you less than buying the wrong one - selling it at a loss - and then buying the one you should have bought in the first place; well that's one scenario anyway.

You may well like the 400D, but when I had a 350D I found it too small and I didn't like the fact that it didn't have a quick control dial on the back, resulting in a lot of button presses to change it's configuration.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

There is always lots of Cost/Benefit analysis involved

Thanks Colin.

Hi Sahil. I know you're trying to get a dslr, but recommend that you pass on this one. A client of mine asked me to take a look at his camera (the model you're considering) and I noticed some key features missing.

1. Lack of spot metering mode.
    2. No mirror lock up feature for sensor cleaning.
    3. Very light camera body (in fact too light in my book) and very small body.
    4. Noisy at higher ISOs settings
    5. Lack of a real command dial on back of camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    Hi Sahil. I know you're trying to get a dslr, but recommend that you pass on this one. A client of mine asked me to take a look at his camera (the model you're considering) and I noticed some key features missing.

1. Lack of spot metering mode.
    2. No mirror lock up feature for sensor cleaning.
    3. Very light camera body (in fact too light in my book) and very small body.
    4. Noisy at higher ISOs settings
    5. Lack of a real command dial on back of camera.
    Here are a couple of points about the 400D (I've used both a 400D and a 40D).

- It doesn't have spot metering, but it does have centre-weighted average, matrix and partial metering. Spot can be useful, but you can usually get by without it, especially with a digital camera where you can quickly view the histogram, adjust and take another photo.
    - You can lock the mirror up for sensor cleaning.
    - It is small and light. You can decide for yourself whether you find it comfortable to use. I've never really had a problem with it, although I do agree that the xxD cameras are generally preferable in this respect. On the other hand the small size might be an advantage when carrying it around. You probably won't want to put a big heavy lens on it (although you could do so). A 50mm or something about that size makes for a nice compact package.
    - High ISO performance is not as good as a 40D (for example), but it's still a lot better than a compact camera. You can also record raw files and do noise reduction on a computer for better results.
    - The xxD style command dial is certainly good to have, but you can get by without it.

If I had a choice between a 400D and a 40D, and they cost the same, I would certainly go for the 40D. But they probably wouldn't cost the same. As you say, it comes down to cost/benefit.

Will

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks, Amber and Will.
    That was a good guidance. Well, I'll get to know the price in a day or two. I would even try taking it for a few days before buying it (if it works out) and will see if size is the problem.

Things can only be decided and weighed after I get to know the price. Thanks a lot guys. As I always say, you guys rock.

Real Name
    Jeroen

Hi Sahil,

just switched from a panasonic Lumix FX35 (CC) to the 400d.
    First I have to say it's my first and only DSLR and cant compare in that type of camera's.
    I have the 400d body with a baterygrip and a Sigma 18-125mm lens on it. Weight is good enough for me but I agree that the 400d without grip and something like a kit lens would be a little small and lightweight.
    The noise is indeed a bit of an issue, but in normal reasonable it's fine. If you accept some noise in your shots you won't have to much to worry about that (especially when you have acces to neat image). You would be able to go up until ISO 800 without excesive noise.
    Just keep in mind that it's a low priced camera which had is release a couple of years ago.
    It's all about what you want to do with it.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by will_c View Post
    You probably won't want to put a big heavy lens on it (although you could do so).
    Seriously, in that scenario it's more a case of "putting the camera on the lens" than it is "putting the lens on the camera" in that it's the lens that's mounted (or held); the camera is just "along for the ride"

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Lol! Funny