Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Exposed Roots

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Exposed Roots

I'm throwing this one up for reactions. I've been sitting on it for a couple of weeks, pretty sure that it's not good enough.

I love:
    • the texture - of the wood, of the gravel on the shore and of the water lapping up onto the shore
    • the light - I was facing directly in to the rising sun and had the camera looking downwards.

I think the big weakness is:
    • the lack of context. You look at it and think - What/Where is it?

I didn't want to freeze the water, hence the 1/30 shutter speed

It's one of these that I want to be great, but feel it just doesn't deserve it's own spot on my website. But I'm keen to read reactions from others and the reasons for them.

By the way, these are the roots of this tree that have been exposed by years of lapping water. You can just glimpse these roots in that other picture.

Exposed Roots
    Canon 40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 11 mm. ISO100. 1/30s @f8

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Exposed Roots

I really like this - it personifies the appeal of roots, the water is quite remarkable, and it almost works as an abstract without scale.

It would deserve a spot on my website - if I had one - and would lead the pack.

And I totally understand the conundrum of context (in part, scale, in part, orientation in space) for subjects like this. I'm trying to think of an example that shows how that problem has been dealt with successfully - but maybe in those instances of success you hardly notice there was a problem to begin with. The other issue here would be to try to elevate the roots away from the sand beneath - I think it would be enhancing to create more separation - but wouldn't have a clue as to how.

I can see the lack of context feeling your getting. If the sand and water could be more clearly divided I think this would be a fantastic shot, but it's still a great one.

Perhaps a different shooting angle. Try moving a couple of yards to the right!

Possibly try a slight crop from the top and left to reduce the 'heaviness' of the dark sand?

Whatever you do, it is going to be an abstract image without any real context; more like a blend of different textures.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Perhaps a different shooting angle. Try moving a couple of yards to the right!
    I think that's the answer. Not so sure about a couple of yards to the right. The land slopes down quite steeply from the edge of the water! But, seriously, I did want to get the shoreline going in a straight line away from the camera, rather than be at an angle within the frame. Maybe it doesn't need to be.

The location is only 15 minutes from where I live, so I can easily get down there very early morning (sunrise is getting close to 5am). But it is a case, I think, of getting the waterproofs on so that I can get down lower (kneeling/sitting in the water). Or maybe I just need to get all the kit off and go for the naturist approach (probably too disturbing for the wildlife ......... and any joggers who run past me)!
    Last edited by Donald; 17th May 2013 at 09:29 AM.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

IMHO, I think it is a brilliant B&W image. Fascinating.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Or maybe I just need to get all the kit off and go for the naturist approach (probably to disturbing for the wildlife ......... and any joggers who run past me)!
    For your sake then Donald, I hope the water is warm
    A lower angle would be my only suggestion

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I like parts of it for the reasons that you mention. After looking at it a few times over the last couple of days, each time my initial reaction is that it's interesting and I keep hoping that I'll be drawn into it. However, that has never happened.

I think the two main reasons are that the bright water in the top right area distracts me and that the scene -- gnarly tree roots at the edge of water at a gravely beach -- is so foreign to me that I can't understand it. Perhaps a different angle as others have mentioned would help me relate better to the scene. Perhaps not. I'm really no help at all with this one.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Andre, Greg, Mike - Thank you. Your thoughts are very welcome. It's a strange image for me. At times I feel just like Andre, whilst at other times I'm closer to Mike's view of waiting to be drawn into it.

Real Name
    Tom

Love all items included in the frame, but I feel a different perspective would only aid in the end result.

Real Name
    John

Give it one rotation to the left, the initial effect is jarring.