Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Night photo with fake panorama.

Real Name
    Hans Brauer

Night photo with fake panorama.

I promised Davidedric that I would post a picture from where I live
    This photo is taken at the beach live where I'm pointing south towards Malmö in Skåne, Sweden
    The camera is pointing along the coastline towards the industrial part of Malmö Harbor, called the Oil Harbor.
    In the photo you can see an environmentally sound windmill and the large oil cisterns, all eclipsed by Turning Torso. Turning Torso is the big landmark in Malmö designed by Santiago Calatrava

This photo is taken during last years Earth Hour, I was out taking photos hoping for some great shots in the moonlight.

Factoid:
    Camera: D90
    Lens: Nikon Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8 IF-ED
    Exposure: 8 sec, f/5.6, ISO200 19.24 UTC
    Processed and cropped in Lightroom 4 to make it a panorama.

Last edited by Brauerworks; 16th May 2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: more info

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Night photo with fake panorama.

How many shots was this?

If you have space I would suggest leaving a bit more at the top and bottom.

Real Name
    Lex

If I understand correctly, you cropped a narrow section from a photo to create a panoramic aspect ratio, but this shot is all from one frame. Nit-picking about language a bit, this is not a "fake" panorama, which normally means a photo covering a swatch of a subject with an extremely wide (up to stereographic 360deg) view. From your description, this is a panorama, but not a panostitch. Panostitches are panoramic photos composited from multiple images, a technique generally used to include more detail.

Aesthetically, I can't say this photo works well for me. The building at top looks cramped, and there isn't enough ground to provide a real sense of place. The sky is rather dull, as well. I would try returning to this scene (which has neat lights and a cool silhouette) when the sky's more interesting. Immediately after sunset might be ideal. Note that you can make a panostitch from hand-held photos if you're reasonably steady. Just make sure each photo begins about halfway through the previous one. If you're shooting images 5kpx (5 kilopixels) wide, and you want a final image 15kpx wide, you'll need five shots positioned at roughly 0px, 2.5kpx, 5kpx, 7.5kpx, 10kpx, and 12.5px relative to the final image's width. Photoshop has tools to stitch the images into a panorama.
    Last edited by RustBeltRaw; 16th May 2013 at 01:35 PM.

Real Name
    Hans Brauer

Good points, and it's a single shot and not a stitched photo. I'll have a go at it later on, I do have a few photos from the same location that day. I have a steady tripod that I use. The subject is some distance away and the longest lens I own is my 180mm.
    Will return with another image.

This was taken a year ago and I wouldn't really crop things the same today. Good thing I have all the RAW files saved.

Real Name
    Hans Brauer

And here is the next result, didn't go to well. I'll be visiting the same spot when the sun is back in position around October.

The first one is the original size and the lights you see are air traffic.