Thread: Wet weather gear.

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Wet weather gear.

Hi all, after seeing some great photos in the people & pets forum "Hard Rain" i rekindled my idea for photos in the rain, and was wandering if there is weather proofing gear like a rain coat for a camera? Or is there a way of making one?

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Wet weather gear.

Have a look at this site Allen. I have the PL E-702
    Works well.
    Cheers mate

http://www.kata-bags.com/search?q=We...rch_button.y=0

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I have a couple of different sizes of Vortex Storm Jacket model. http://www.warmcards.com/SJ1.html . I have the models that allow me to mount the camera on a tripod.

I've had them for about three years and they seem to work fine. One has to shoot by feel, as the camera controls and the LCD on top can be obscured. In a pinch I've also shot with a plastic bag from a grocery store. So far all my equipment seems to have survived, so these seem to work. That being said, I have shot in light to medium rain, as i tend not to do a lot of shooting in a downpour.

Real Name
    Lex

For really crazy conditions, you might want to look at immersible covers. DiCAPac makes some pretty inexpensive ones rated to about 16ft of depth. More than enough for even the heaviest rain, but less ergonomic than thinner covers.

I keep two clear contractor's bags and a small tape roll in my pack in case I get caught off guard. Arranging, taping, and cutting a bag every time you need a rain cover is kind of a pain, and they don't last very well once you've put them together, but using bags or sheets guarantees that your cover can always be made to fit your gear.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by gregj1763 View Post
    Have a look at this site Allen. I have the PL E-702
    Works well.
    Cheers mate

http://www.kata-bags.com/search?q=We...rch_button.y=0
    I also use the Kata PL E-702 and it worked great on a 10-day trip to Alaska's Kenai Peninsula during which it rained every day...

Wet weather gear.

I like the way you access the camera controls with the Kata cover. I think that this might be a safer way to shoot than accessing the camera from the rear as with the Vortex Storm Jacket.

There are also Chinese copies of the Kata available on eBay. I would possibly trust one of these if I were shooting with a somewhat weatherproofed camera/lens combination; but I am not sure if I would trust one if I were shooting with a non-weatherproofed combination. I think that if it leaked a bit, it would still protect the weatherproofed camera sufficiently not to cause any problems...

I also always carry an OPTECH Rainsleeve for each camera; either in the back pocket of my photo vest or in my camera bag. This is only for emergency situations but has come in handy for protection from other than rain/snow. I have used this in the desert to protect my camera/lens from blowing dust. IMO, it is not sturdy enough to use on a daily basis over a protracted period...

I will admit, however that the DiCap type of cover could possibly provide the absolute protection in the most severe weather. However, I don't know about the image quality you would achieve shooting through the front filter of the DiCap...

Whatever your choice, any of the above covers would provide more weather protecton than using a bare camera/lens...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 16th May 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Another vote for Kata. Very well built and full access to the camera.

Real Name
    Dan

I've used a Stormjacket in some pretty hideous conditions. I have one of the large ones for use on supertelephoto rigs on a tripod. It is basically a waterproof tube with elastic on one end to fit over the lens and a cinch cord on the other end. I just leave the camera end loose and drape it over the camera when not shooting. It is not a tight seal over the camera and it will get somewhat wet but not enough to bother a weather sealed camera body. The good thing about the Stormjacket is that they are relatively innexpensive and are small and light enough to have with you all the time.

That said, I've now purchased a LensCoat RainCoat Pro. It does keep the camera body dry and has sleeves to stick you hands through. This weekend will likely be my first outing with it as I've got an agility trial to shoot and we are forecasted rain and..... snow

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

In all my camera bags I carry (about 6) big green heavy dutyGarbage Liner Bags. Also a Pocket Knife; GAF tape and big elastic bands, the thick type the mail-man uses to bundle lots of letters.

Big Garbage bags can be converted quickly and easily into: ground sheets; ponchos; camera tents; storage bags and many other useful items.

And they are cheap – and fit every lens size.

WW

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    In all my camera bags I carry (about 6) big green heavy dutyGarbage Liner Bags. Also a Pocket Knife; GAF tape and big elastic bands, the thick type the mail-man uses to bundle lots of letters.

Big Garbage bags can be converted quickly and easily into: ground sheets; ponchos; camera tents; storage bags and many other useful items.

And they are cheap – and fit every lens size.

WW
    When booking for a whale watch cruise I saw the boat being used and also the noted the salt spray the passengers were subject to at the best spots on the boat for getting photographs. On my way back to my motel I called into the local general store bought garbage bags and tape as Bill is suggesting. A bit of DIY and on the trip the next day the gear may not have looked that glamorous but it certainly suffered no spray damage.

Real Name
    Wayland ( aka. Gary Waidson )

My camera is supposed to be "weather sealed" but I carry a home made rain cover for really bad conditions just in case.