Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samyang 14mm f/2.8

Real Name
    Wayland ( aka. Gary Waidson )

Re: Samyang 14mm f/2.8

The profile I used removed a lot of vignetting but I actually dialled most of it back in because I usually end up burning the edges of my frames in to improve the tonality of my pictures anyway, so I quite like a bit of vignetting provided it is nice and gradual for most things.

Real Name

Important Warning

Never, ever, put this lens down on the mount without a rear lens cap on it... Samyang 14mm f/2.8

I've just been looking at the back of the lens with an eye to mounting some kind of gel filter holder and noticed that the rear element projects out beyond the level of the mount very slightly.

It's slight enough that you might not notice it but placed on a hard surface I wouldn't like to see what damage it could do.

Real Name

Just used it for it's first Astro shot.

Quite pleased with the results.

Real Name
    John

Getting back your original post, lens performance aside, that's a stunning shot. Like Lex, I use a Tokina 11-16mm on the Nikon and I like it a lot. It probably has less distortion than the Samyang but hasn't quite got the resolution. I have been looking at Samyang as for a low cost fish eye for the X Pro and from your results, it might just be worth a punt.

Lex, I have gone down the same route as you are proposing for a wide ND. I ended up with a 9X from Lightcraft. They market a couple of faders. Good VFM and they are reviewed as producing less of a colour shift than some. I haven't used the 9X too often but so far I have managed with just post processing in CS 6 (if any) rather than setting up a custom white balance.

http://www.lightcraftworkshop.com/au...-reseller.html

Their US distributors are:

http://www.birnsandsawyer.com/

Real Name

I recently treated myself to a Samyang 12mm f\2.8 Fisheye as well and have had a couple of shots I've been pleased with from it.

Samyang 14mm f/2.8

Samyang 14mm f/2.8

Real Name
    John

Are you sure those rocks aren't made of fibreglass Wayland. They look almost transparent. Two nice images. I particularly like the second.

Real Name
    John

I love the distortion, wouldn't be as interesting of a shot if not for the daliesque effect.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Are you sure those rocks aren't made of fibreglass Wayland. They look almost transparent. Two nice images. I particularly like the second.
    It's because they are lit on the outside as well as the inside. Interesting effect though.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I love the distortion, wouldn't be as interesting of a shot if not for the daliesque effect.
    i agree, I like the distortion from fisheye lenses in some images. It needs care to make it work but I think this Sanyang gets it about right.

Real Name
    Bill

Dave

I'd guess you'd want to stay with Nikon lenses, and the 24mm end may be important to you, but I had the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO 11-16mm DX on the D7100 and it was a cracker. May be worth at least taking a look ...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    Dave

I'd guess you'd want to stay with Nikon lenses, and the 24mm end may be important to you, but I had the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO 11-16mm DX on the D7100 and it was a cracker. May be worth at least taking a look ...
    Hi Bill,

My post above is a little old now (2013) and I have since got the Nikon 10-24mm - and I do use it at all focal lengths.

But thanks for the thought (the Tokina was considered), Dave

Real Name
    Bill

Oops. Another learning experience for me! I wrongly took it that anything on "Latest threads" would be new(ish). Glad you got and (obviously) like the 10-24 Nikkor.

Real Name
    Richard

I have a Tokina 12-24mm f/4 which I use fairly infrequently since the majority of its focal range is covered by my 17-55,, f/2,8 IS lens (on my 7D cameras).

I did, as a lark, purchase a Vivitar 8mm f/3.5 fish eye lens (branded under several different names) which I have not used to any great extent but plan to soon.

Samyang 14mm f/2.8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12