Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Manawatu Wind series

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

Manawatu Wind series

Hi all,

Haven't been here in a while and just got some time on my hands .
    So here is my latest personal series (will put more up later) - Windmills up on the hills - seen perhaps in a way that you wouldn't commonly come across .
    Taken on a Canon (go Canon woo!) EOS 50 Film camera with effke 25 ISO 35mm B/W film (beautiful film actually ).
    Then scanned and processed drawing stylistic inspiration from a number of photographic procedures such as Gum Bichromate and Platinum

Manawatu Wind series

Manawatu Wind series

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Manawatu Wind series

Hi Matt,

Realyy like these especially the first one, great atmosphere. Did you scan these yourself? If so what scanner did you use as I'm looking to get a scanner to convert my film shots for CS processing, gets expensive having the lab do them for me.

Peter

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

Hi there Peter,
    Yes I scanned these my self - it was actually using a scanner that I have access to (Don't actually own one myself - although I'm considering it quite seriosly as I love working with film).
    The scanner is n Epson Perfection V700 - and Ive got to say - its pretty nice.
    Ive used a few of them and this produces very good quality scans, and goes up to about 6400 dpi (this particular scan was a 16bt gray-scale 6400 dpi -> 8bit gray scale 3200 dpi reduction).
    The good thing about this one is it is FAST.
    Other scanners I have used can have tedious warm-up times - and do take a while to get through the negatives.
    Downside to this one is its priced around 800 - 1000 NZD ish (from what I can remember).
    Im not sure where your located so I wont convert that, but its a reasonable chunk of money (though I think it would be worth it to me).
    You can get them cheaper though - ive seen a few smaller ones that do about 1800 - 2400 dpi for about 200 NZD, no doubt they are a little slow though.
    I guess it all depends on how much you are likely to use it really .

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by milleniummuppet View Post
    Hi there Peter,
    Yes I scanned these my self - it was actually using a scanner that I have access to (Don't actually own one myself - although I'm considering it quite seriosly as I love working with film).
    The scanner is n Epson Perfection V700 - and Ive got to say - its pretty nice.
    Ive used a few of them and this produces very good quality scans, and goes up to about 6400 dpi (this particular scan was a 16bt gray-scale 6400 dpi -> 8bit gray scale 3200 dpi reduction).
    The good thing about this one is it is FAST.
    Other scanners I have used can have tedious warm-up times - and do take a while to get through the negatives.
    Downside to this one is its priced around 800 - 1000 NZD ish (from what I can remember).
    Im not sure where your located so I wont convert that, but its a reasonable chunk of money (though I think it would be worth it to me).
    You can get them cheaper though - ive seen a few smaller ones that do about 1800 - 2400 dpi for about 200 NZD, no doubt they are a little slow though.
    I guess it all depends on how much you are likely to use it really .
    Thanks Matt. The one I had my eye on was the Epson 4490, can't really afford the V700 and from reviews the 4490 seems to be quite capable. Looked at cheaper ones but they don't do the medium format negs I need.

Peter

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

Medium format ? Cool! Was recently going to use some medium format film myself actually, but just haven't got around to yet. I've got a mate that has used it and the negatives are really nice .
    That looks like quite a nice scanner actually - would consider it myself. I haven't looked too hard at buying one yet though, for now I have pretty easy access to some pretty flash gear, so until I need to I will hold out .

Real Name
    Chris

Fantastic. I recently borrowed a book on Steichen- this shot (#1) reminds me of some of his work.
    Chris

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

That actually looks quite similar to the Artist I was looking at .
    Guy called Peter Liepke.

Real Name
    Chris

That actually looks quite similar to the Artist I was looking at .
    Guy called Peter Liepke.
    I like yours better!
    Chris

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

Ta.
    Though im not sure - you talking about the artist or my work .
    Ha.

Real Name
    Chris

Ta.
    Though im not sure - you talking about the artist or my work .
    Ha.
    I was comparing your work to Peter Liepke's- the windmill shots seem really suited to the treatment you applied.

Were all of the effects done digitally?

Chris
    Last edited by cneedha; 7th December 2009 at 03:48 AM.

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

Mostly yes.
    As it was slow film so I got the nice soft blur effect which I was looking for.
    Then it was a matter of softening the whole image, grungeing it up (manufactured grain), toning it with color, and then any other sort of painterly effects where needed (like destroying an area - making it flatter etc)