Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Couple of Sea Otters etc.

Real Name
    Dan

A Couple of Sea Otters etc.

Well we made it out on Prince William Sound for our first trip of the season. Still a lot of snow around and the weather was a bit damp but not windy. Finally got to shoot something other than dogs

All of the critters were shot with a D800E and 500mm f4 VR. The landscapes were shot with a V1.

Harlequin ducks like to hang out on rocks. The flight shot is pretty severly cropped and shot at ISO800 so finer details don't show very well.

A couple of shore birds. The first is a whimbrel and I believe the second is a lesser yellowlegs.

I tool a couple of hundre frames of otter shots. Not a lot of variety in water color as most were shot away from the shoreline. I'm still culling but here are a couple quick ones.

And a couple of landscapes. The first one was taken while walking the dog on tidal flats at the head of a bay. The second was taken in the anchorage where we spent Saturday night. Both stitched together with V1 images. You can see it was overcast and drizzly and there's still not much color in the world up here.

Real Name
    Terri

Re: A Couple of Sea Otters etc.

All are very enjoyable shots. Those ducks look so perfect. Are you sure you didn't set decoys on those rocks? I especially like the 1st and 3rd otter shots.

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful images, all.. but my favourites are #5 & #7 as the seem to capture the personality of the otters.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Dan:
    Your first and third otter shots are REALLY good. I've shot them before and know how difficult it is to get fur detail against dark water. The first otter is especially sharp. Well done!

Real Name
    Dan

Terri, those darn ducks sat so still I couldn't even get a shot with a bit of a head turn or anything. There mother must have taught them that they are camoflaged if they just sit still

Thanks, Christina. They are cute little buggers. And they've mastered gender equality. The girls have just as big of whiskers as the boys

Yeah, Bud, if you've shot otters you're familiar with the drill. They're just sitting there, how hard can it be, right?