Thread: Another one

Another one

Hi, another picture of my wife. I really liked how the evening light was reflected from the yellow building behind her and fell on her hair from behind and above. I used a led light at minimum power to lighten her face and create a glow in her eyes. I understand the picture isn't the perfect sharpness, but I liked it anyway. C&C appreciated, as aways!

Another one

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Another one

Lovely lady! I also like the lighting and especially like her expression. Possibly a vertical composition might suit this head and shoulders image better than the landscape composition. I think that the softness is flattering but, perhaps a bit of sharpening around her eyes might be nice.

You might get away with a very slight bit of extra highlight brightness selectively applied to her face.

If there isn't sufficient space for a vertical crop, as Richard suggested, perhaps a different size ratio to lose a little bit from the sides?

But a good photo.

Real Name
    Travis

Love this shot I would lower the color saturation.

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. I still haven't got a nice, calibrated and photography oriented monitor, so maybe this adds too.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Lovely lady! I also like the lighting and especially like her expression. Possibly a vertical composition might suit this head and shoulders image better than the landscape composition. I think that the softness is flattering but, perhaps a bit of sharpening around her eyes might be nice.
    I second Richards suggestions. Very nice photo, well done

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

A very nice shot. I agree with the others that I would have shot this in landscape mode. I like the way that you shot at a shallow DoF to totally soften the background. I'd probably tone down the reflection on the camera right cheek a touch in post, as I find it a bit distracting.

I tend to prefer the my poses at a bit of an angle, rather than flat on. That tends to flatter the face a bit more. I also find that 85mm is a bit short for headshots like this one. I tend to use a longer lens (105mm minimum) as I find that flatters the look a bit more as well.

Regardless, a shot you and your wife should be very happy with!

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Armand, bravo! It's a lovely portrait of a lovely lady. Your lighting has taken some thought and has worked quite well, and the pose is pleasing and seems to bring out her character. The background, however, is too busy and therefore distracting despite the bokeh being quite nice.

Real Name
    Terry

Great shot. Beautiful Lady. Awesome advice!

I dunno Armand! Looks like you have a wall hanger going on!

The lighting is gorgeous! Who wouldn’t kill or die for a gorgeous natural (reflected) golden hair light in a location setting? Especially with her hair color? I doubt there is any gel that could do that! You’re fill looks nicely balanced to me also.

So I must be losing what is left of my feeble mind Armand!

So would you please forgive the ravings of a madman if I were to suggest that if you were to cool the color balance (and only a very tad bit) the skin tone would be a little less toward the yellow, but yet (again only a tad) keeping the awesome light that shines on and from Beloved Wife?

Now as a stark raving lunatic, I understand the desire for a warmer look. And quite frankly, I would have to toggle back and forth to see what I really liked best.

Maybe a stray hair removal or two off the top where the strays glow?

Just a theory Armand!

You know man, the more I find myself nitpicking (which is what I am doing here), the less inclined I feel to post these days! Better to leave it up to others.

The BG can be dealt with in post if you see it as a problem. You could have moved her to another location, but could you duplicate the expression? You get what you get when you get it. And you nailed it Armand!

It’s a great shot Armand. No matter what I say about it that is for sure!

Thanks a lot for all the replies and suggestions! Unfortunatelly I still don't have a proper photographic monitor and seems that my current one needs some calibration, but I am working on getting a much better one. This might explain some of the extra warmness or saturation that some of you guys mentioned. You inspire me to continue photographing her even more :P Thanks again!

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Armand,

You've had lots of excellent comments on the photographic technique, I'd just like to add one of the mood I feel. I don't know your wife of course, but she seems relaxed, confident and serene. Lovely image.

Dave

Real Name
    Blake

I think this would work very well with a square crop. The lighting is absolutely fantastic!