Thread: Studies of Still life fruit

Real Name
    Natalie

Studies of Still life fruit

This was something I wanted to try, as I have always admired the darker style still life's that look like from a bygone era. Any advice, comments, critiques welcome. I used two small wireless flashes bounced off of white foam boards, one brighter than the other....(except for the first one with daisies, I used a window for natural light)

1)

2)

3)

For the backdrop, I painted a large watercolor paper with a sponge using black, blue, red and green.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Studies of Still life fruit

You have done a wonderful job in setting it up and getting both the arrangements and lighting right. Certainly capture the mood of those fancy gold framed paintings I see in art museums. The second one is my favorite.

I always admired the texture painters managed to get on course white linen or the glow on silverware. Heaps of possibilities to continue with still life studies now that you have the lighting sorted.

Real Name
    Natalie

Thank you. I've been thinking I need to visit an antique shop to look for just the right silver bowl or maybe a pitcher. I painted the background last night, and think I will put together a lighter one, too. The basket handle bothers me, but this was one I made a few years ago, and wanted to include it.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

The dark background is certainly in keeping with my recollection of the formal still life paintings I have seen. Done well gold, silver, copper or pewter bowls or jugs would suit what you are doing.
    The basket handle is a bit modern but that does not worry me but it may look better just a shade darker.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Nat, all nice. I like the first one best. In the second and third pictures the flowers make the scenes look decorative. The flowers in the first picture are naturally placed.

Karm

Real Name
    Natalie

Thank you for the comments and good suggestions. I've been wanting to do this for a while... and will certainly look for objects to put in the composition and try some more....I had the white daisies in the other two, but they seemed to steal the scene, so swopped them out for the blue....

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

I really like the textures and colors of the second pic, the light also complements the scene very well and gives it a "dark" yet warm feel, good job overall though.

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful images...

Real Name
    Natalie

Thank you all very much. I had a lot of fun and lost track of time doing these. Now my mind is moving on to other kinds of still life....but I have to find a toad, first....ha ha ha ha.....but I am serious!