Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Another from along the Oxtongue

Real Name
    Allan Short

Another from along the Oxtongue

Another from along the Oxtongue, I was with a group on a photo workshop, trying to learn a different style than what I usually shoot. Here we were using f/18, camera set to manual focus and using live to focus as we would really zoom in on a small area to make sure that we were right spot on. Of course set on a tripod with a cable release. As the area was covered with mist it make for some interesting images.

Cheers:

Allan

Another from along the Oxtongue

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Another from along the Oxtongue

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    I was with a group on a photo workshop, trying to learn a different style than what I usually shoot.
    Interesting to hear your thoughts, Allan, on that different approach, particularly if your normal style is to hand-hold and use more camera features, such as autofocus, most of the time. Did you, for example, find that working in this way really slows you down and makes you look at the scene in front of you much more closely?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Another from along the Oxtongue

Your post-processing nicely retains the vibrancy of the colors while also displaying the mist.

I always use that method of photography when shooting in my makeshift studio, including using the small aperture when it is appropriate. I do wonder, though, about the reason for using such a small aperture when a larger aperture will still keep everything sharply in focus. The smaller aperture in that situation will sometimes result in diffraction, which at least in theory will affect really large prints. Perhaps it's only in theory, as I don't have any practical experience with it and none of the demonstrations of diffraction that I've seen on the Internet are practical applications. (They can't be when demonstrated on the Internet.)