Real Name
    Augustin Man

Canon SX50 - Lizard

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/86...photos/2553544

img_4349pt.jpg

Thank you for watching,

Augustin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Augustin Man; 14th May 2013 at 07:32 AM.

Real Name
    Matthew

Re: Canon SX50 - Lizard

Hello. I would like to see your photo, but it is not appearing for me. Maybe this would help HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    Hello. I would like to see your photo, but it is not appearing for me. Maybe this would help HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?
    I'm very sorry: the normal uploading returned me some error (again!) so I tried to put a link; I edited the link and I'll try to put here also the image asap...

All the best,

Augustin

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi Augustin what a great lizard. A good sharp photograph. Cropping below the top round leaf may improve it and perhaps a light bit of vignetting would be worth trying.

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Hi Augustin what a great lizard. A good sharp photograph. Cropping below the top round leaf may improve it and perhaps a light bit of vignetting would be worth trying.
    Thank you very much, for both your nice comment and the improving suggestion !

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Canon SX50 - Lizard

Click image and use "F" key to see full size
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 14th May 2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: bigger picture added

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Augustin,

Great capture.

If mine I would crop a bit less than 10% off the lower edge in order to lose the green leaf and pink flower because it removes those distractions and puts the lizard along the lower third, but still retains the greenery above to show the context of why s/he's that colour.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Matthew

Nice colors and detail. What a beautiful lizard! I agree with the other suggestions about cropping options. I wonder if, next time you can photograph a lizard, maybe you could get lower to the ground and get a shot closer to its eye level instead of coming down from above. Still, nice image; I know lizards are difficult to approach (here in the U.S., at least )

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Augustin,

Great capture.

If mine I would crop a bit less than 10% off the lower edge in order to lose the green leaf and pink flower because it removes those distractions and puts the lizard along the lower third, but still retains the greenery above to show the context of why s/he's that colour.

Cheers,
    Thank you very much, Dave, for advising me in everything! I'm very pleased you like my amateurish shot !

All the best,

Augustin

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    Nice colors and detail. What a beautiful lizard! I agree with the other suggestions about cropping options. I wonder if, next time you can photograph a lizard, maybe you could get lower to the ground and get a shot closer to its eye level instead of coming down from above. Still, nice image; I know lizards are difficult to approach (here in the U.S., at least )
    Thank you very much for your comment!

Of course you're right about the POV! I was actually lucky the lizard just stayed several seconds in that sunny place and I could take three shots, the last being ... without lizard as it run away with that incredible acceleration lizards went to hide. I never looked at the camera dials, just tried to keep it in focus. If it wouldn't have run, I could have tried to crouch very slowly continuing to shoot, but...

All then best,

Augustin

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

I have found the fold-out screen a great help for low shots, as when taking small animals on the ground without disturbing them too much. as http://uploads.ifokus.se/uploads/11e...ed-abborre.jpg

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by Inkanyezi View Post
    I have found the fold-out screen a great help for low shots, as when taking small animals on the ground without disturbing them too much. as http://uploads.ifokus.se/uploads/11e...ed-abborre.jpg
    Yes, you're right and the shot you made is outstandingly good, but the snake was rather busy there. "My" lizard was suspicious and afraid, so there wasn't time to fold the screen, as I explained already above...

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Real Name
    pinaki

Very nice Lizard pic.I also agree with others.Slight cropping would improve the pic a lot.

Real Name
    Mark

I'm among the many admirers of this - tough to get and striking.
    I get the cropping suggestions, sort of... it's just that you have a subject considerably longer than wide so you can either crop to Mr./Ms. lizard's shape - which would be extreme and maybe a bit contrived - or make the best of a lot above and a lot below. Some of the suggestions are probably wise compromises, but the cropping problem is a product of the subject, not the photographer.
    Thanks for putting this up.

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by pinakibaidya View Post
    Very nice Lizard pic.I also agree with others.Slight cropping would improve the pic a lot.
    Thank you very much for your appreciation!

All the best,

Augustin

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by Downrigger View Post
    I'm among the many admirers of this - tough to get and striking.
    I get the cropping suggestions, sort of... it's just that you have a subject considerably longer than wide so you can either crop to Mr./Ms. lizard's shape - which would be extreme and maybe a bit contrived - or make the best of a lot above and a lot below. Some of the suggestions are probably wise compromises, but the cropping problem is a product of the subject, not the photographer.
    Thanks for putting this up.
    Thank you very much! Indeed the dimensions of the subject are quite different, but I think I'll try however some cropping... I'm just a hobbyist, but what I think is fascinating and specific to "writing with light" is the this very blend of inspiration, luck, technology, art, you name it...

All the best,

Augustin

Real Name
    Bobo

Lovely subject and well shot.

Real Name
    Augustin Man

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Lovely subject and well shot.
    Thank you very much!