Thread: Wide angle converter

Real Name
    Paul

Wide angle converter

Hi,

Being fairly new to all this I have been looking at Wide angle lens convertors to put on the standard nikor lens that came with my D5000, are these type of convertors any good? or would I be better trying to buy an actual wide angle lens, its something that I'd like to try without shelling out a lot of cash needlessly.

thanks in advance

Paul

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: Wide angle converter

I think you might find such a purchase a false economy. The standard lens that came with the camera is unlikely to be that sharp from centre to edge and is probably a zoom, in which case you may well be disappointed with the results. A second hand wide angle lens may be your answer initially and not necessarily a Nikon.
    Park Cameras are selling a new Nikon AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR DX Lens for £67 delivered or the latest version for about £80. It isn't the best of lenses but it's a good starting point to gain experience using a wide angle. You can read a review HERE.
    Last edited by Clactonian; 13th May 2013 at 04:21 PM.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Paul, I don't know of a wide angle converter that is any good at all. If your Nikon D5000 came with the standard
    Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 VR kit lens, the 18mm end is quite wide as it is. A wide angle adaptor will only work with a standard 50mm prime lens. Used on your 18-55, it will cause vignetting if the lens is set at anything wider than 50mm, therefore defeating the object. Don't waste your money. If you want to go wider than the lens you already have, invest in a Nikon 10-24mm f3.5-4.5G ED DX or equivalent Sigma.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Supplementary lenses are usually the only alternative if you are working with a fixed lens camera, but the solution has a lot of drawbacks; overall image quality does suffer as these lenses tend to introduce a fair bit of barrel distortion, so that vertical (and horizontal) lines appear to curve inwards.

As was pointed out, the kit 18-55mm lens (and I do own it), provides a reasonable wide angle view at a cost that is probably close to what the wide angle supplementary lenses are selling at. If you want to go wider than that, you are certainly looking at some specialty glass that is not going to be cheap.

Real Name
    Murali Mithun

What I feel is rather than going for the Wide Angle converters, I would suggest You to better rent out "wide angle Lens" for a day or two?? If You really like its performance own it....I feel its not worth to shred your money for a 'Wide angle converter' as Manfred pointed rightly
    overall image quality does suffer as these lenses tend to introduce a fair bit of barrel distortion, so that vertical (and horizontal) lines appear to curve inwards.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by phorsley View Post
    I have been looking at Wide angle lens convertors to put on the standard nikor lens that came with my D5000, are these type of convertors any good?
    No.

would I be better trying to buy an actual wide angle lens
    Yes.

WW

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks for your replies on the convertor I am now thinking about hiring a Nikon 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 G AF-S DX lens for a few weeks instead, I'm off to the Rockies and Vancouver Island where I hope to be able to put it to good use and maybe with some practice a few good pics.
    Does anyone have an tips that may help me, and would this lens be a good lens to take.

thanks again for all your help.

Paul

Real Name
    Richard

I strongly suspect that you might be severely disappointed at the quality you can achieve with a supplementary wide angle lens. If your kit lens is not wide enough, shooting a hand held pano of several shots might give you a wider view.

Wide angle converter

Getting an inexpensive monopod would allow even better single string pano shooting.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/17572474

If you decide that you need a wide angle lens... Are you going through New York City on your trip? If so, B&H Photography and Video as well as Adorama Camera might be sources for wide angle lenses at quite reasonable prices.

If a new lens might not be in the future, perhaps a used Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX might be good for your trip. Buying one at a decent used price would allow you to resell it after the trip at little if any loss. It would be cheaper than renting for an extended ime.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sa...temCondition=4

The advantage of the Mark ii model for Nikon users is that the Mark ii has a built-in focusing motor and can be used on any Nikon camera. The Mark ii model also has "improved" coating which is supposed to reduce flare. However, I have not had flare problems with my Mark i model for my Canon cameras.

For examples of the results possible from the 12-24mm Tokina, Mki on a Nikon camera, see Roman Johnson's great images, many of which were shot with the Tokina.

http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos

I purchased my Tokina, partially as a result of Roman's examples and I have never regretted the purchase...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 14th May 2013 at 02:22 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I am now thinking about hiring a Nikon 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 G AF-S DX lens for a few weeks instead, I'm off to the Rockies and Vancouver Island where I hope to be able to put it to good use and maybe with some practice a few good pics.
    Does anyone have an tips that may help me, and would this lens be a good lens to take.
    Hi Paul,

If you don't already have it gripped, I'd learn about Hyper-focal distance before you go, so you know where to focus, and what aperture to use, with such a lens when you have a (very) near foreground subject and yet still want the distant horizon sharp.

Second bit of advice is keep the camera level; don't point it up or down unless specially looking for the distortion this will introduce.

That lens is on my shopping list too

A tripod may be useful too ...

Could you do me a favour please?
    Could you Edit your Profile and put "Paul" in the Real Name field - thanks.

Welcome to the CiC forums and have a great trip,

Real Name
    Richard

Piggy backing on Dave's comments...

Another way to make your wide angle shots interesting is to include a significant foreground subject, like a rock or a tree, etc. This will add a feeling of depth to your image, making it more pleasing...

I also personally don't like shooting people using UWA lenses because of the distortion inherrent when shooting up close with a wide lens...

Real Name
    J stands for John

I think it has been established on several threads that a wide angle lens is far from mandatory for the landscape work that I imagin you will be attempting to do. Personally I have yet to buy a WA lens becuase it is so easy to stitch several overlapping frames for a wide view and if you do need height as well at width [ Vancouver and the Rockies comes to mind ] you can do four square etc and stitch programmes will handle this for you, though my feeling is that doing it in editing with layers is a superior way to work. The last pano I did was shot with around an 80mm lens to reduce the amount of space wasted on sky and foreground. You may find using a tripod or monopod a nuisance and if you are reasonably skilled in basic editing so long as if you hold the camera as if it WAS on a tripod you will be able to stitch the results. You will end up with more pixels in the finished result than if you used a WA lens, though this is less a consideration in these days of high resolution cameras. If you do get a WA lens don't put a polarising filter on it or while shooting frames for a stitched photo otherwise you will have 'fun' in editing trying to even out the sky ... I learnt that the hard way You also need to shoot in manual with the same exposure for each frame if the contrast range from first to last frame is within that of the camera to handle. Though I image that HDR techniques could be used after shooting two or more stitch sequences at different exposures and stitching them prior to HDR ... not needed to do this yet but it seems logical. [ so long as you do it quick enough that the light doesn't change too much ]
    Hope you enjoy your trip becuase it is spectacular country.
    Long ago it was established in the P&S and bridge camera circles that a WA adaptor needs to be made by the manufacturer of the camera and designed to be used as such ... such as the WA adaptor made by Nikon for their 5000 model was highly regarded and also the Olympus adaptors ... but they are certainly not suited for the DSLR and most you find around are rubbish designed for film and video cameras where there are other considerations than those of the still photographer to warrant their use.

A point about terms ... converters usually fit between camera and the lens ... adaptors fit on the front of the camera lens ...I could be and likely am wrong in thinking that WA converters are not made or are rare and you are probably thinking of a WA adaptor ... don't
    Last edited by jcuknz; 16th May 2013 at 10:02 AM.