Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Triod with boom head

Triod with boom head

A tripod that could care a Charmonix 4x5 with a boom arm, then only I can shoot straight down. That really closes to the floor also. Chief requirements are solid and cheap.

Is there any available about some old sort of tripod and I am looking for not too expensive one.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Triod with boom head

Solid and cheap tend to be mutually exclusive statements, especially if you add the weight of a view camera and lens to the equation.

I wonder if you might be better to cobble something together with a boom stand for studio lighting; as you are looking at supporting a similar weight. You would probably want to add a sandbag to the the leg to make sure it doesn't tip over. I'm thinking about something along these lines.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oom_Stand.html

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

What do you call cheap? Best if you can suggest a budget.

Have a look at the Manfrotto 055 range; strong and stable, but not cheap.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

How handy are you at DIY?

You really need to search for a Studio Camera Stand and Boom Arm: not a Tripod. You might find a second hand one.

Maybe even an Heavy Duty Lighting Stand, which you could adapt. (The type used for Cine Hot Lights).

Another thought: a Surveyor’s Tripod (the wooden split legged ones) which you could adapt into a camera stand.

If you want to get the 4x5 close to ground level and at a reasonable working distance out from the legs, you will have a large Moment of Turning, around the pivot of the boom arm – a counter weight on the boom arm might be necessary.

The 4x5 - fully rigged - will be about to 3~4 kgs, maybe more: sandbags are a good idea for the feet of the stand. I'd add an additional counter weight: hung from the centre of the stand.

Regarding using an Head – if budget is tight I would not use one. I suggest you mount the camera directly to the boom arm (another DIY job). A quality head which will hold that Camera weight - and hold it steady, will set you back in the order of - US$800 to $1200, I expect.

WW

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Welcome to CiC, JohnSam!

I use a light stand, a boom and a jury-rigged combination of three small items that allow the camera to swivel in any direction. Once the device is tightened, the camera is securely attached to the boom. I put a sandbag on the bottom of the stand on the side of the base that is opposite the camera. The setup is far less expensive than using a camera tripod as others have suggested. My light weight rig works fine for a DSLR and I assume you could get comparable items that are more sturdy for supporting a 4 x 5 camera.

You might want to explain how close to the floor the camera has to be, as that might require using a much more expensive camera tripod to accomplish that.

It would be a big help to yourself and others if you would add your general location and your real first name to your CiC profile so both are displayed at the left side of your posts. As an example, people could recommend stores to consider if we knew what part of the world you live in.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

What's the update, John?

WW