Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 9 Month Old Milestone Session CC

Real Name
    Cat

9 Month Old Milestone Session CC

I'm a beginning portrait photographer, and I'm always looking for constructive criticism on the images I'm creating.

Give me any CC you've got, please!

Thanks,
    Cat

Real Name
    Koos

Re: 9 Month Old Milestone Session CC

Dear Cat,

Nice start! Your model works with you. A few comments for improvement:
    1. the background: you might consider using a background, that is more in harmony or balance with the model, it might be a good idea to read articles about negative space.
    2. The first two might be better if you would crop them too, the model is a bit "lost in space." to my opinion.

As said, it is a good start.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Cat,

Personally, in all, I find the bold colours of the clothes rather overpower the subject's colouring and make her look too pale.

I'd guess that the first three have been cropped/framed to take the logo and generally this works, it might be useful to see how you approached the cropping if there were no logo. As Koos suggests, there might be too much negative space in #1 especially, and less is required in #2.

In #4, where she's 'lost' in a big space, this suits her expression, although even here, I think you can lose 10% from left edge because she's slightly looking to our right (her left).

Hope that's helpful.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....

Real Name
    Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Cat,

Personally, in all, I find the bold colours of the clothes rather overpower the subject's colouring and make her look too pale.

I'd guess that the first three have been cropped/framed to take the logo and generally this works, it might be useful to see how you approached the cropping if there were no logo. As Koos suggests, there might be too much negative space in #1 especially, and less is required in #2.

In #4, where she's 'lost' in a big space, this suits her expression, although even here, I think you can lose 10% from left edge because she's slightly looking to our right (her left).

Hope that's helpful.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ....
    Thank you for your responses Koos and Dave.

I used to have an issue of framing my subjects too tightly, so I may have compensated for that fault by pulling out a tad too far. I prefer to be further out, though, than too tight, because if need be, I can always crop in.