Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My birds are back

Real Name
    randy

My birds are back

It has been a long Winter here in Minnesota, this weekend is the celebrated fishing opener.......and half of the state's lakes are still frozen over!!

The situation is presenting some interesting opportunities, birds are clustering in the southern part of the state in striking breeding colors

All of these shots were made with my Sigma 400mm f5.6 at 1/1000 sec. This lens is taking some getting used to, I really miss image stabilization. The first image was shot in 25mph winds to add to the fun

My birds are back
    Redhead

I think that this shot is my best thus far for this bird, I seem to be able to approach better than last Fall

My birds are back
    Sandhill Crane

I gained access to a seldom visited area of the refuge by tagging along with amateur ornithologists, I ended up part of a caravan of 20 vehicles that made a beeline to a wetland that was host to a number of shorebirds. This final shot is what I considered the best of the batch. I just kinda wish that I could revisit this area without the other 19 cars

My birds are back
    Spotted Sandpiper

Real Name
    Terri

Re: My birds are back

Randy, I'm not sure where all the bird people are but thought I'd comment. I have a real hard time holding my 400mm steady in the wind so I feel your pain! Glad you are getting some activity so that you can get used to that lens.

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Randy, I looked at these images this morning and was pondering why they appeared not as I would expect. I looked at the EXIF data and the shutter speed of 1/1000 certainly should have been fast enough for your 400mm (FFE 600mm). Are they a very large crop? If so you need to get closer to the birds you photograph. I can get out to 450mm FFE and I won't attempt a small bird much farther than 50 feet away. Larger birds give more leeway because of their size. Also to my eyes they appear underexposed, maybe raise the exposure in post processing.

Real Name
    randy

Joe-I just saw your tutorial for processing bird shots, believe me they are beneficial to me as well, your are correct about the crop. It was very difficult to get close to the birds with 35 "post-Winter" birders.

Terri- Thank you for your comments, I am still working on a style of stabilization that works well, every situation calls for a new technique. My monopod is my best friend with the warblers, tripod seems the solution with ducks, window mount for cranes.

Good news is todays weather was less windy, I went down the street this morning to the local wetland.....no birders , I was able to approach a bit closer

My birds are back
    Solitary Sandpiper

and sat in the backyard

My birds are back
    Nashville Warbler

My birds are back
    Yellow-rumped Warbler