Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Horse Portrait (Close Up)

Real Name
    Shane

Horse Portrait (Close Up)

On a recent trip I spotted a couple of horses in a field and stopped the car to snap some shots. This guy was very friendly and every time I moved to get more of him in the image he followed right along. I ultimately gave in to his inquisitiveness and took this shot.

Horse Portrait (Close Up)

I quite like the image but wonder if it works? The shot was taken midday so I had to deal with a glare on parts of his coat. I wonder if the bit by his eye is distracting from the image? Would less contrast and a softer image have worked better (in PP)? Overall C&C would be appreciated.

Because this guy (big assumption on my part as I didn't check) was so friendly we had a nice chat in between shots and he got a bit of a petting during the conversation. I think when we parted we were both a little happier for the encounter even if the image isn't up to snuff
    Last edited by ShaneS; 9th May 2013 at 07:00 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Horse Portrait (Close Up)

Lovely. Conveys the gentleness of the horse wonderfully.

I wondered about:

• Brighting up the eye a bit (dodging)
    • Toning down that bit below his eye (burning) or cloning it out
    • And, instead of reducing contrast, introducing some Local Contrast Enhancement on the coat to make the hairs 'pop' a bit more (got to be careful not to overdo it).

Just some ideas to think about.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Shane,

I think it works. The position of the eye in the image makes it work. Good suggestions form Donald, it will make the image even more pleasing. A good shot, IMHO.

Real Name
    Marcus

Hi Shane,

lovely shot! Horse eyes do have a great magic, think thats because of their size and the long eylashes - that adds softness and elegance. For the composition I would have "cut off" his head right in the center along the nose.
    I like Donalds idea for more contrast, had the same feeling.

Real Name
    Shane

Thank you Donald, Andre and Marcus - your feedback is appreciated. I will take another look at the items suggested and see what I come up with. I had already dodged the eye a bit but will go back and be a bit more aggressive there and with the contrast.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Nice photo. Works great for me.

I like all of Donald's suggestions except adding more pop to the hairs. For me the photo is all about the eye; adding more pop to anything else might distract my eyes from the horse's eye.

Real Name
    Shane

That was exactly my concern Mike, his coat was actually very soft and I felt that the image already portrayed it as quite coarse. Having said that, I think that going back to look at it in different iterations is never a bad thing, especially in my case when I am working to understand the various PP tools that are available.

Thank you for your thoughts.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    That was exactly my concern Mike, his coat was actually very soft and I felt that the image already portrayed it as quite coarse.
    I have now revisited your excellent photo and handled it using my software. Based on doing so, I encourage you to back off on the clarity/sharpening already made to the horse's hair. (For an approximate simulation, I actually added a slight amount of noise reduction to soften the hair and liked it.) I then added a slight vignette that darkened everything except the eye and really liked the results.

In fact, I have a similar photo that I made of an Icelandic horse and this exercise compels me to revisit how I post-processed it.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Shane, nice picture. One suggestion: on the right side of the photograph the horse's hair pattern is different. I might try to contrast it with the hair pattern to its left.

Karm