Thread: Moutains in the spring (feedback appreciated).

Real Name
    Jordan

Moutains in the spring (feedback appreciated).

95% of the time I shoot RAW+JPEG, trying to achieve a good in-camera result.
    In this particular case I had to deal with yellowish snow, greyish slopes and not very dramatic sky, but this is a place you don’t have the oppoptunity to visit every weekend, so I had to give it a shot.
    The picture I present here will never be a prize winner, but nevertheless it gives a good idea about the high mountain (above 2400 m) during the spring.
    In order of appearance these are: #1-the original JPEG file, #2- unprocessed JPEG from the RAW file and #3-my PP version.
    The camera, Nikon D7000 was set to: 1/640, f/13, ISO 100, EV – 0.7, Metering- Center Weight, Focal Length- 55.0 mm .
    Usually I start the PP in ACR and finish it in PS.
    My biggest challenge was, and still is, to make the dirty melting snow in the foreground a bit whiter.
    So, please, share your ideas and comments concerning different PP techniques.

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Moutains in the spring (feedback appreciated).

I think it is a lovely shot, great detail and very pretty. I prefer the original to the final edited version only because the rocks and snow in the foreground don't look real to me. I do like the sky and the mountains in the final version. So likely somewhere between the two.

I don't know enough about editing to advise but I'm sure someone will do just that.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 8th May 2013 at 08:03 PM.

A little too much processing for me, Jordan. Particularly with the blue.

You have made the sky more dramatic but that has also caused the shadow areas on the snow to also turn excessively blue.

Whatever you do is going to be a tricky edit; but I think I would settle for a greyish sky and simply increase the contrast. Boost the highlights a little but keep the shadows dark.

Possibly a mask or an adjustment layer would allow you to edit the sky and snow with different settings.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Jordon: you do not say what you WB was. I found out something interesting about WB last week, the temperature setting work well below 1000 ft, however at 2400m or approx 7500ft you need to be around 8000K or "shade" to get the correct colour balance. Found that out from a guy who lives and works (shoots) at that elevation all the time and adjusts temperature when he goes down to the as he calls it the flat lands.

Cheers:

Allan