Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The English Lake District

The English Lake District

A weeks holiday in the Lake District in the 1st week in November did not result in much of a suntan.
    When the rain did decide to ease briefly whilst walking I would whip out the camera from under my coat and get a few snapshots, no time to play with settings but rely on what I thought would be right for the conditions on the day, fortunately a couple of shots came out to my liking.

Re: The English Lake District

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    a few snapshots
    Yeah right! "a few snapshots" Well done Keith - excellent capture's there. It's great to see other "snapshots" from other parts of the world - cheap travel!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Keith
    All good, but the colours in the first one just take it up a level. Love it. What do you think about cropping the bottom just so that the sheep lying down are taken out? This would move the drystane wall to very near the bottom, but I think it throws even more attention onto the trees, the mountain and the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H View Post
    Yeah right! "a few snapshots" Well done Keith - excellent capture's there. It's great to see other "snapshots" from other parts of the world - cheap travel!
    LOL, thanks Steve but I can promise you that these were purely opportunity shots taken whenever I could get the camera out.
    You should have seen some of the other efforts.....or maybe, best not.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Keith
    All good, but the colours in the first one just take it up a level. Love it. What do you think about cropping the bottom just so that the sheep lying down are taken out? This would move the drystane wall to very near the bottom, but I think it throws even more attention onto the trees, the mountain and the sky.
    Thanks Donald, I know you like to do landscapes of the scenery in your part of the world and very impressive they are too so any advice is welcome.
    Does this cropped version seem to improve the image?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Does this cropped version seem to improve the image?
    Keith
    I think so. Others may disagree. I think this is just brilliant.

I also think it would be very tempting to do more with/to the sky, but I think you've got it right. And the light on the hill is sublime.

Real Name
    Steve

I like the last one; fantastic. Was you on a bridge?

Beautiful scenery and light trump pretty much everything else. These make me want to go there and see it for myself.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I like the last one; fantastic. Was you on a bridge?
    Thank you Arith, no, I was standing as close to the edge of the stream as I dare, its approach to the lake came from my left.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Thank you Arith, no, I was standing as close to the edge of the stream as I dare, its approach to the lake came from my left.
    Chicken!

Seriously, I've lost count of the number of times I end up in the water with my trusty tripod. On a good day I'm wearing waders, but on a bad day, shorts or trousers!

Quote Originally Posted by will_c View Post
    Beautiful scenery and light trump pretty much everything else. These make me want to go there and see it for myself.

Will
    Thank you Will, it is an area of wall to wall scenery and immensly popular and this was my first Autumn visit.

It is difficult to get really good autumn scenes but these definitely work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Chicken!

Seriously, I've lost count of the number of times I end up in the water with my trusty tripod. On a good day I'm wearing waders, but on a bad day, shorts or trousers!
    Not in November, no chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    It is difficult to get really good autumn scenes but these definitely work for me.
    Thanks Geoff, I need a return Autumn visit, minus the rain of course.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Keith,

I really like all three, as full screen in browser (f11) they look great.

The only one I would suggest any changes to is the first one, I prefer the cropped version, but this has left two white bits right on the bottom edge of frame and additionally, the sheep/cow now in bottom right corner distracts me. I would clone out, or tone down the luminance significantly, of all three things.

But I'm being quite nit-picky here, they are still great shots.

Cheers,

A weeks holiday in the Lake District in the 1st week in November
    The best season to visit. In summer there is far too much designer gortex, dayglo distraction and lycra (not bad on the lasses but I have never been a fan of Max Wall so the gents so inclined should keep it for the bedroom). Its like a mural in a suburban gym. A brisk November walk from the old DG to the Wasdale Head Inn via Russet Ghyll in a pair of nailed wellies and a full pouch of Golden Virginia in your Barbour jacket pocket is Cumbrian bliss.

Your third image has a really nice depth to it and draws you into the scene. The other two are not my cup of tea but I do sympathise with the conditions you are shooting in. I gave up taking photographs of mountains years ago. I just could not capture what I felt when I was out there

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Keith,

I really like all three, as full screen in browser (f11) they look great.

The only one I would suggest any changes to is the first one, I prefer the cropped version, but this has left two white bits right on the bottom edge of frame and additionally, the sheep/cow now in bottom right corner distracts me. I would clone out, or tone down the luminance significantly, of all three things.

But I'm being quite nit-picky here, they are still great shots.

Cheers,
    Thanks Dave, yes I did notice the 2 white bits after I had cropped then posted, too lazy to do it again though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    The best season to visit. In summer there is far too much designer gortex, dayglo distraction and lycra (not bad on the lasses but I have never been a fan of Max Wall so the gents so inclined should keep it for the bedroom). Its like a mural in a suburban gym. A brisk November walk from the old DG to the Wasdale Head Inn via Russet Ghyll in a pair of nailed wellies and a full pouch of Golden Virginia in your Barbour jacket pocket is Cumbrian bliss.

Steve
    Thanks for you views Steve, my favourite happens to be No.1 so I guess its all subjective.
    As to your quote re the waxed jacket, wellies and the tobacco, I did not see too many of them around except when 'cruising' around those little walled lanes, I was amazed how many walkers were about in November in mid week, does it ever go quiet in that area?
    I certainly don't have the legs for lycra!!!

Keith

does it ever go quiet in that area?
    Keith,

If you require anything close to solitude these days in the central lakes you need to got up on the tops as early as possible. I used to start climbing after midnight with a view to reaching the summits just before dawn. I have climbed all he major peaks that way and some lesser ones. Camp in the fells and move on early. Always tell someone where you are going if you are ever tempted to do this. The weather can close in fast. The other alternative is steer well clear of the central Lake District and stick to the fells on the periphery but not in mid summer.

Steve

Love those autumn colours. Every time we.ve visited had been sept. thru to early Nov. and luckily pretty good weather every time.
    Cropping really is in the eye of the beholder eg I think I prefer even more cropping of #1 to right in the tree line just above the stone wall. Or if some of the field wanted to be left in shoot from closer to the ground so while there is more of the foreground in, it has more "depth" Does that make sense?
    The southern landscape expert may enlighten/correct me.
    Howard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast