Thread: Can you trigger studio lights when in live view (Canon EOS 60D)

Real Name
    Nigel

Can you trigger studio lights when in live view (Canon EOS 60D)

Good morning all.

I have recently upgraded by 400D with a 60D and all in all, I am pretty happy with it. I also upgraded some lenses with the 18-135mm and a Sigma 10-20mm which I lovew for shooting outdoors (Streets, landscapes, buildings, star trails etc etc)

I also have an inexpensive off-brand set of strobe in high key setting. The 60D comes up trumps when shooting in the studio in my opinion so, again, to reiterate, I am very pleased with the camera and I think I have made a very good upgrade.

One question - How to trigger the flash lights with the RT-04 transmitter on the camera, whilst in live view?

I have tried thinkng that it would just work as normal......but it does not!

I was wanting to use this function whilst taking shots from above, looking directly to the floor but the camera would be a little too high to be able to use the view finder.

Any ideas?

Also, anyone had issues with the front dial (next to the shutter release button)
    Sometimes it just stops working!

Regards.

Nigel Smith
    http://500px.com/NigelSmith

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Re: Can you trigger studio lights when in live view (Canon EOS 60D)

I to have got the 60D, and cant figure out how to set off my flashes in live view. As for your dial, mine works fine, although my up button on the d-pad at the back requires me to press a little harder.

Real Name
    Nigel

Thanks for the reply Allen. Maybe somebody will be able to help us both here then...unless, there just simply is not a way of doing it, which would be a shame.

Regards.

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

I agree. I have an idea. Perhaps put on a flash in the hot shoe. And set them off that way, although it would not be much of help it it works.

Real Name
    Nigel

Might try that out. Could always rerally reduce the level of flash from the mounted one so that it makes little of no effect but only to trigger the other units but then, the other units would only be set as slave. Not sure how this would work but might be worth a try.

Let me know how you get on and even better if you find the answer.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    I was wanting to use this function whilst taking shots from above, looking directly to the floor but the camera would be a little too high to be able to use the view finder.Any ideas?
    Nigel Smith
    http://500px.com/NigelSmith
    Don't know if it would work with your camera but I have a right angle viewfinder extension from my Pentax days which fits on my old D60 Canon ... you remove the rubber surround to the viewfinder and it clips on. Does live view work through the viewfinder or on the back LCD? If the latter I guess it would not work for you. If the later how about a small 'make-up' mirror in cardboard frame?

EDIT Further though if you can use the pop-up flash in live view mode ... use it to trigger remote flashes which are triggered by inexpensive optical triggers. The pop-up can be shielded from the subject and still fire the remotes so long as enough light escapes to do the job. I have held my finger in front of the pop-up to organise a balance [ Key fill etc] or else use a piece of cardboard cellotaped to pop-up.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 12th May 2013 at 10:41 AM.

Real Name
    John

If Canon has a speedlight commander you should be able to trigger the strobes in live view.