Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: No more boxed Adobe apps/licenses

Real Name
    George

Re: No more boxed Adobe apps/licenses

I'm coming to this thread late and have only skimmed the response so apologies if this was brought up. There is another aspect to this - by bundling all the apps together it will put a lot of pressure on the competitors and may stifle improvements in the long run. If I need one specific app and get the bundle then when I need another it has to be significantly better than the Adobe version which I have and is already paid for.

Real Name
    Mike

Possibly, George, but a lot of people already have the suite and have had for years, yet other developers keep cranking out all sorts of imaging and graphics apps. The only difference would be users can step up from Photoshop into the whole suite for the first time without the huge up front investment.

Real Name
    Brian

I have just spent the last couple of hours reading this thread and was able to make a cup of tea from the heat coming out of the screen. Many people do not like change and suddenly to be confonted but a change of policy by a corporate giant is bound to cause anger. I am a hobby photographer and to me this cloud computing is of no interest to me. The last Photoshop was CS2 and that was given to me. Adobe has let down the hobbyist, it could have run a two tiered system but the will is not there to do so.
    I am changing to Linux and using their programs and yes donating too. Large conglomerate corporations are taking away our ability to choose, they are also with their corporate greed causing the loss of thousands of jobs to make "profits". Profits are not wrong, what is wrong is excessive profits and excessive salaries, profit based but on savings not on earnings. Not the same thing.
    My 2 penneth. Let's enjoy our hobby/business and this forum.

Mito:

On some other forums, your water would have boiled away!

This one was kind and gentle.

Glenn

Real Name
    Mike

You can cook steaks over at Luminous Landscape!

Quote Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
    You can cook steaks over at Luminous Landscape!
    Also check:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

There are two threads with little flames beside them - do you suppose that could indicate something?

Glenn

Real Name
    James Edwards

I looked over on LuLa and the discussion there is pretty hot.

Derek Schoffstall, a LuLa member has started a petition to Adobe to try to lobby Adobe to eliminate the mandatory "creative cloud" subscription model."
    It sits on Change.org.

If you want to sign it too? Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/petitions/adob...share_petition

Not sure in general about the usefulness of gathering signatures for this kind of thing, but it is at least it's a positive attempt to influence Adobe policy. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.

:-) James

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Less than 2 weeks and virtually everything has been said. Are we know all going to slowly to get used to the idea and capitulate? Has the wave of discontent collapsed and Adobe (and other companies who must be monitoring this with great interest) is just waiting for the waters to calm down?
    Remember the vehemence when Napster was attacked by the record companies? After a few weeks, everything died down, new modes of operation were found by people?
    So what now?
    Graham

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Basically I am fiscally limited. Cash flows are not regular so I use internet access from free wifi sources which are not always available - or not consistent/reliable. I wouldn't want to be trying to download high Mb's of information via a slow link that is also unreliable. nightmare.
    Living in Kuwait with allegedly high speed internet(it wasnt), nor was it reliable, I Purchased Adobe Photoshop with an online download instead of getting a hard copy on disk. It was a 1 gb download which took well over 24 hours. When I tried to install, it wouldnt. For whatever reason, I had a corrupt download which I think was because of the unreliable internet service in Kuwait.

The only option I had was another 24+ hour download. blehhhhhh

Real Name
    Graham Heron

So, Tom, you had to queue and wait?
    (Brit humour)
    Graham

Real Name
    Wayland ( aka. Gary Waidson )

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Less than 2 weeks and virtually everything has been said. Are we know all going to slowly to get used to the idea and capitulate? Has the wave of discontent collapsed and Adobe (and other companies who must be monitoring this with great interest) is just waiting for the waters to calm down?
    Remember the vehemence when Napster was attacked by the record companies? After a few weeks, everything died down, new modes of operation were found by people?
    So what now?
    Graham
    Well I'm getting used to Photoline so that I am familiar with a different software suite when CS6 becomes defunct due to software or OS changes.

I'm also watching to see what Adobe or at least some of it's engineers do next...

< >

Cyber experts fear escalation of attacks

By Ros Krasny

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Cybersecurity professionals know a myriad of ways hackers can try to wreak havoc on critical infrastructure or infiltrate corporations to steal or spy, but it is the fear of the unknown that some say keeps them up at night.

U.S. security officials and private sector experts wonder what kinds of time-bombs can be - or have been - embedded by malware into computer networks, just waiting to explode.

Cyber espionage is already "the greatest transfer of wealth in history," National Security Agency Director Keith Alexander, the top U.S. general in charge of cybersecurity, told the Reuters Cybersecurity Summit in Washington this week.
    "Disruptive and destructive attacks on our country will get worse," he said. "Mark my words, it will get worse."

The military is a big target, something that Rear Admiral William Leigher, who is in charge of "information dominance" with the U.S. Navy, takes on board.

"Our networks see thousands of intrusion attempts every day...staying up with the threat, making sure that our defensive systems are up to par is probably one of the things that gets most of my attention," Leigher said.

To be sure, the United States has not suffered the kind of destructive cyber attack that damaged some 30,000 computers at Saudi Arabia's oil company, Saudi Aramco, last year. But experts said they were worried about the increasingly sophisticated cyber capabilities of countries such as China, Russia and Iran.

"This new growing trend of nation states engaged in cyber attacks that are designed to be destructive to parts of the U.S. economy is very, very concerning," said Mike Rogers, chairman of the U.S. House Intelligence Committee.

"The ferociousness of these attacks is increasing and it's something that we better get a handle on," Rogers added.

The migration of ever more elements of the economy to the digital world opens the door to malfeasance.

"We keep hooking more and more stuff up to the Internet, so the attack surface keeps growing," said Michael Daniel, cybersecurity policy coordinator at the White House. "Pretty soon your coffee maker and your refrigerator is going to be an attack vector because it's going to be hooked up to the Internet."

><

{But of course hooking up to Adobe's Creative Cloud will always be perfectly safe...}

Real Name
    Mike

Am I correct in assuming the vast majority of these vulnerable computers are running Windows? But I digress...

Real Name
    Remco

Possibly, but that might be because the majority of computers is running Windows. Cases enough of Unix systems being infiltrated.

@John: Do keep in mind that Adobe's Creative Cloud wrt. to Photoshop is not cloud computing or cloud storage. All that happens is
    that the computer where photoshop is running connects to an Adobe server to verify if there's still a valid licence. Same as (some versions of)
    Windows calling home. Of course, if Adobe's servers get infiltrated, you might have a problem, but I'd guess your bank account is more at
    risk than your computer or your data (which are not on Adobe's servers just because you use Photoshop).

And one of the more common causes of problems is 'interesting' downloads: a lab where I once worked had a rather lax policy concerning computer
    safety. No sanctions if you downloaded and installed e.g. an interesting screensaver. Those computers also had to be shared between users. Let's
    say that there were regularly new screen savers installed, and they regularly had problems with viruses and worms. Strong correlation...
    (but of cause correlation is not causation )
    Last edited by revi; 19th May 2013 at 06:37 AM.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks for that link.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Despite some comments about the objectors to cloud 'beating a dead horse', it seems they may have been beating a 'cash cow'.
    And it seems as if some changes may have resulted in it.
    G

Real Name
    Wayland ( aka. Gary Waidson )

It would appear that Adobe are listening because Adobe share prices have been falling constantly since the CC announcement was made.

This is what happens when a company believes it knows better than it’s customers.

No one solution is going to satisfy all of it’s customers.

For some the CC will be a great deal. For others like myself it will be a disaster.

I need a solution that means I have the ability to not just open but also re-edit my files at any point in the future with the software that I own at that point.

When I retire I do not want to be locked into an expensive rental system in order to continue to adjust and market my images.

I am currently starting to migrate copies of my work to Photoline so that I have a viable alternative when my hardware or OS no longer supports my current version of PS.

Actually, I quite like some of the features on Photoline so thank you Adobe, it’s been interesting to know you…

Real Name
    Jeff

I went with CC shortly after it was first offered because I was about to upgrade PS and decided the monthly payment was not such a big deal given that I periodically shell out bigger amounts to update the software anyway. I use PS, LR, Acrobat, and InDesign. It's nice to have the updates as they are rolled out. As for backup, I use multiple backups already, so not a big deal for me to back up to the cloud.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112