Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Red Herring

Real Name
    Wayland ( aka. Gary Waidson )

Red Herring

Well it's not really, but Jason's "In the Freezer" thread reminded me of this shot I took a few years ago.

Red Herring

It's a Lane Snapper I believe that I found sunbathing on ice in my local supermarket a long way from it's home so I froze it into a chunk of ice to make this shot.

I was thinking of making a series of them but got distracted and did nothing more with the idea.

What do you think?

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Red Herring

Ive seen abstract watercolors looking like this. It does have the same feel. I think this looks better than the watercolor I saw. However, Im wondering why you might have decided to not include the tail portion as to "complete it"? It kind of feels cut off. (well, it just might be!). How the front and top part of the fish is showing through the ice looks good compared to how the ice looks at the rear and lower right corner- not as opaque as to bring out the fish's color like the rest.

This is probably one of those things where you have to try freezing a bunch of fish and hope the ice turns out uniform. It's an interesting photographic project that is unique and I know there is a market for images like this.

Real Name

You've probably half guessed for yourself that the ice was too opaque at the tail end and it didn't quite work.

I might have to have another crack at it.

Real Name
    Richard

I could definitely see a version of this image as a background for a title.

Off subject: Where in the world did the term "red herring" originate

Real Name

I believe it's a reference to a traditionally smoked herring or "Kipper" which fishermen would jokingly describe as a "Red Herring" to gullible types on account of it's colour.

It's come to mean a distraction from the truth that sounds plausible but is just there to set you on the wrong trail. For example trying to find and catch a Red Herring from the sea.