Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Blue Whistling Thrush and Panasonic FZ200

Real Name
    pinaki

Blue Whistling Thrush and Panasonic FZ200

Dear friends,recently i have bought one for bird photography.Before buying it i considered Canon sx50 and Nikon P510 but as Panasonic FZ 200 has a constant 2.8 aperture all through the zoom range i thoght it would be better. Today i have shot some bird pictures. I am posting one here .Compared to my Nikon D5100 with Nikkor 55-300mm reach is more. Picture is sharp with pretty details( courtsey Leica lens). But what i find annoying is dynamic range is not satisfactory. You will tell me why expect that from a compact camera? Anyway it is a good compromise. One thing i forgot to mention that focussing was very quick . I am waiting for final judgement of yours.Cheers.Blue Whistling Thrush and Panasonic FZ200

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Blue Whistling Thrush and Panasonic FZ200

Congrats on the new toy.

Considering the strong backlight you got the details of the bird that matter. Nice shot.

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Pinaki,

It is interesting you decided on this camera, at least you seem to have a fast AF, something that cannot be said of the P510 (and I gather the SX50 isn't too 'sparkling' either).

The fast, constant aperture zoom should allow you to shoot at two stops lower iso, or two stops faster shutter speed (or one of each) over the P510/SX50.

But what I find annoying is dynamic range is not satisfactory. You will tell me why expect that from a compact camera?
    Unfortunately, yes, a limited dynamic range does tend to be a 'feature' of the smaller sensor cameras
    I suspect it is because they are packing the photo-sites into a much smaller area.
    I don't know whether this makes the provision of RAW capture a bit of a 'moot point' does it gain you any DR over 8 bit jpg?
    How did you capture/process this?

I'd be very pleased to get that result with the P510, it is sharp and detailed, perhaps just lacking a little shadow detail under the belly and tail for the reasons mentioned.

Anyway it is a good compromise.
    I do consider even the jpg only P510 in good light, to be better than what I can get from the D5000. But I don't think it is as good as this.

Cheers,

Real Name
    pinaki

Thank you Bobo. Thank you Dave for your lucid analysis. In fact i was expecting some advice regarding bird photography with Bridge camera. I have earlier seen your Parakeet pic taken by Nikon P510. It was so nice with outstanding detail that i almost decided to buy it. Suddenly one of my friend suggested me Panasonic Lumix FZ200. Then i searched bird photos taken by this camera in Flickr. I was astonished to see plenty of stunning bird shots taken by this camera. Another plus point of this camera is it can shoot 12fps in full resolution in burst mode which is handy if anybody wants to take bird shots in action.