Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: B&W Tree over water

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

B&W Tree over water

This tree is reaching out over the Potomac River from the Virginia side of the river.

B&W Tree over water

B&W Tree over water

Real Name
    Greg

Re: B&W Tree over water

Good composition, Mike. I think I prefer the first one. That lazy bow on the lower branch feels like the right complement for a water shot.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    ........I think I prefer the first one.
    I was (am) going to say the same thing ....... given they are as they are at the moment .. if you see what I mean! The first reaction was there was too much 'big wood' in the second one and that the first was a much more pleasing composition.

But ......... if there was a to be some dodging done on the darker areas of that trunk so that we could more easily see the texture of the bark ......?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks for the comment, guys! I agree with both of you about preferring the first one. I almost didn't post the second one but keep coming back to it because I'm attracted to its contorted lines. It's fascinating to me that though both photos are of the same tree, one looks graceful and the other looks contorted, only because of the viewing angle.

I already spent so much time bringing out the texture on the second one that I have to toss up that issue to the light. Knowing where the sun would be at other times of the day at least this time of the year, I think I would need artificial light to make the texture of the bark really pop.