Thread: First shots with 5D

Real Name
    Kevin

First shots with 5D

Upgraded cameras a while back, finally getting around to posting them, been a long time lurker, hopefully now I can contribute!

First shots with 5D
    _MG_9672 by CvsN2013, on Flickr

First shots with 5D
    _MG_9681 by CvsN2013, on Flickr

First shots with 5D
    _MG_9083 by CvsN2013, on Flickr

And this little creepy crawly was on my carpet; caught him with my 50mm Macro (old FD lense with converter)

First shots with 5D
    _MG_8481 by CvsN2013, on Flickr

~Kev

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: First shots with 5D

Congrats on the new camera.

Nice set of shots.

Another nature guy joins the ranks ------- coooool..

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kev,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

If I may offer one bit of critique; the first two are not level, both need a slight clockwise rotation to get the reflections directly below the real bits (if you know what I mean).

The bird is good and the spider excellent.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Kevin

Bobo; thanks nature is really not my penchant, but a well rounded photographer must work at all types!

Dave; Thanks that lil guy is smaller than your pinky nail! I always welcome critique, I am here to learn. I did have to re-read your remarks, If I understood them: I think you are using the edges of the water/ground as source to level, I think you will find that the bottom of the ducks (actual level) is correct, the water line is from an expanding pool; I will have to see if I have a picture that captures the entire scene.

~Kev

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Kev,

Quote Originally Posted by CvsN View Post
    If I understood them: I think you are using the edges of the water/ground as source to level, I think you will find that the bottom of the ducks (actual level) is correct, the water line is from an expanding pool; I will have to see if I have a picture that captures the entire scene.
    No, that's not what I am using, but I didn't make it clear enough.

I am using the fact that the water's surface is level and anything above it and the reflection should be exactly (and vertically) below.

Here is a crop applied to show how the beak tip is further left in the 'real world' than in the reflection.

First shots with 5D

The two should be in line, although I accept this is quite small and ripples can sometimes upset the 'symmetry of reflection' and cause a mis-diagnosis.

It is just another technique that can be used on still water or other liquid surfaces to estimate levelness when the water's edge/horizon cannot.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Wolf

Hi Kevin

Really nice shots. I especially like the little hairy guy.

...caught him with my 50mm Macro (old FD lense with converter)
    Could you please explain to me how you took the shot and what you mean by 'converter'?

EOS -> filter thread and the lens reversed?

EOS -> FD without adaptive optics? No infinity focus but good for close-up/macro.

EOS -> FD with adaptive optics? Infinity focus but also works as a 1.4x TC.

Thanks
    Wolf

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi Wolf; I used a FD to EOS adapter with optics so it does have infinity focus. The lens in particular is a Canon 50mm f3.5 macro with about 2" close focus. The adapter is a Fotodiox Pro (amazon cheapy) that has a moveable optic. It took some trial and error to get the offset correct; In order to hold it true to the setting I have used some locktite on the threads.

Dave outstanding! I had not even considered that! Thanks for the well thought out explanation.

~Kev