Thread: Saturdaymorning chuckle

Real Name
    mark

Saturdaymorning chuckle

I found this on the net this morning. I don't know if it has been mentioned here or not.

http://gizmodo.com/5892099/add-the-g...ned-by-the-tsa

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Saturdaymorning chuckle

I have carried a blower in my bag on airplanes ever since I began shooting a dSLR with no issues whatsoever.

More important, are we going to believe everything everyone posts on the Internet? Sure, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that TSA would confiscate something that they think looks like a bomb, even though it looks exactly like a rocket. Then, thinking they have confiscated a bomb, they simply let its owner get on the airplane. Yeah, right.

Real Name
    Richard

If it wasn't so darned serious, it would be funny!

I was prevented from carrying my monopod aboard an Alaska Airlines Flight from Los Angeles to Anchorage because: "It was a weapon-like implement".

On the return flight (same airline), I noticed several guys carrying their monopods aboard. Asking the TSA person about this, I was told, "people carry those aboard all the time, why not?"

I guess that you could hijack a flight from L.A. to Anchorage with a monopod but, couldn't hijack an Anchorage to L.A. flight with a pod."

OTOH... Who the heck would have thought a couple of guys could destroy the World Trade Center using some box cutters as weapons

However, the entire tragedy may have been prevented by having a secure door to the flight deck.

Along that line, what about better physical security in schools?

While I certainly am not against stricter gun regulations, I would think that a one result of the shooting tragedy in the school at Sandy Hook would be for the school authorities to IMMEDIATELY improve the physical security in schools. Simply having security doors with decent locks would have prevented or mitigated that tragedy. I have not heard of any schools in my area improving their physical security!

Former U.S. Congressman Asa Cunningham lead a group that did a school threat assessment and came to the following conclusions:

One thing the task force looked at is perimeter fencing,” said Hutchinson in the press conference. “Sometimes it was found not adequate, or in improper repair.”

The group evaluated entry points into schools such as having a single point of access, surveillance monitoring, and the design of exterior and even interior doors.

“A proper exterior door is critical to delaying an armed intruder,” said Hutchinson.

He highlighted how simple fixes such as hinge covers and inexpensive card blockers could be added to doors to enhance security.

In the interest of safety and security, I would like to see private fireworks banned in the USA. IMO, there is no earthly reason why fireworks should be sold to private individuals. The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution doesn't cover fireworks. But, I have heard no one on any TV Network shouting for a ban on fireworks...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 4th May 2013 at 06:31 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    In the interest of safety and security, I would like to see private fireworks banned in the USA.
    They are illegal in some states.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I was not allowed to carry the cable lock for my laptop on a flight once (I had been carrying it with me on business travel for years). Reason given - it could be used to tie somebody up. I checked it; it was simply not worth my while arguing about it. I guess I had better not carry any gaffer's tape in my hand luggage either; as it would be a lot easier to use than a computer lock.

Airport security generally referred to "security theatre" for a reason....

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    They are illegal in some states.
    FWIW, they are illegal to own in New Hampsire (where the Boston bombers bought them). New Hampshire lines its border with Massachusetts with fire works stores -- presumably to sell to people from Massachusetts, where private ownership of fireworks is illegal.

Real Name
    John

I like to exercise when I travel so I take a jump rope with me, this item underwent close scrutiny flying from Sydney to San Francisco, however they allowed me to bring it on board. I always enjoy the shoe swab, it won't detect blood and guts (I was touring a meat packing plant) but any type of explosive residue will supposedly set off alarms.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I was not allowed to carry the cable lock for my laptop on a flight once (I had been carrying it with me on business travel for years). Reason given - it could be used to tie somebody up.
    How about shoe laces - they could tie somebody up also... However, I prefer to wear slip on shoes for flights since I have to take the damn things off for each flight.

I do have a belt with a non-metalic buckle which will not activate the metal detector. I got tired of stumbling around barefooted while trying to hold up my trousers...

On a different tack... I prefer the pat-downs I got while boarding the internal Chinese airlines I flew on during my trip to China. The pat-downs were done by attractive females whom I far prefer touching me than another male!

Real Name
    Homer

Years ago, I was making a new mooring bridle for my boat out of 20' of twelve-braid, 7/8" rope. It's pretty tricky to do. I had a long flight scheduled, so I took the rope, a knife, several knitting-needle-like fids and some tape so that I could work on the mooring line during the flight. No problems and lots of interesting conversations as a result of working on this onboard.

Today? Rope - no. Fids - no. Knives - never. Conversation - rarely. Welcome to the Uptite States of America.

Real Name
    Jason

When the writer said "I knew I would get robbed in Newark" I laughed out loud.

Real Name
    Wayland ( aka. Gary Waidson )

A pair of hands can be used to kill someone.

When will legislators and security experts learn that it's people that kill people?

Real Name
    Dave

Quite a few years ago I took through a set of poisoned arrows that some pygmies had made for me. They were made from bamboo - I wonder if they would get detected even now

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Quite a few years ago I took through a set of poisoned arrows that some pygmies had made for me. They were made from bamboo - I wonder if they would get detected even now
    LOL

I have a pair of somewhat oversize trousers which are very comfortable but twice on removing my belt they have fallen down, to the great amusement of security [ it is when you have to hold your hands above your head to be x-ray'd ] .... finally I came up with the idea of string braces to further amusement of security

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    How about shoe laces - they could tie somebody up also... However, I prefer to wear slip on shoes for flights since I have to take the damn things off for each flight.

I do have a belt with a non-metalic buckle which will not activate the metal detector. I got tired of stumbling around barefooted while trying to hold up my trousers...

On a different tack... I prefer the pat-downs I got while boarding the internal Chinese airlines I flew on during my trip to China. The pat-downs were done by attractive females whom I far prefer touching me than another male!
    Is that a pistol in your pocket or ....... Well someone had to say it.

Real Name
    Dave

Mind you, I can chuckle about this now , more or less, but.... Going through a body scanner and having to explain and show why I was wearing a colostomy bag was not very nice.......

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

May be a relevant point to all this; certainly speaks to the security enforcement. In the last three years I have flown to 1) China round trip, our local aeroport to Vancouver 4 times round trip, our local aeroport to Edmonton round trip once and Vancouver to Auckland via Los Angeles . So 17 passages through security. All that time, unbeknownst to me, I was carrying three 125 ml bottles of liquid (two shampoos and a tube of toothpaste). Since I didn't know about it as it was secreted in a pouch I never use in my camera carryon bag; I merrily denied having any gels or liquids.

Found them when I got back from New Zealand in March

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    May be a relevant point to all this; certainly speaks to the security enforcement. In the last three years I have flown to 1) China round trip, our local aeroport to Vancouver 4 times round trip, our local aeroport to Edmonton round trip once and Vancouver to Auckland via Los Angeles . So 17 passages through security. All that time, unbeknownst to me, I was carrying three 125 ml bottles of liquid (two shampoos and a tube of toothpaste). Since I didn't know about it as it was secreted in a pouch I never use in my camera carryon bag; I merrily denied having any gels or liquids.

Found them when I got back from New Zealand in March
    Had I known at the time of the huge threat to our country you were I would have alerted the authorities immediately and had you searched by our highly trained Beagles on your arrival.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 9th May 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I forgot to add: two trips to Las Vegas round trip; so add in 6 more passages through security. Thus 23.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Had I known at the time of the huge threat to our country you were I would have alerted the authorities immediately and had you searched by our highly trained Beagles on your arrival.
    Unfortunately I didn't have my usual bottle of cheap cologne as well. Then I could have kept the stewardesses at bay by threatening a bad wash and hairstyle, choke the remaining passengers into submission with fumes from the cologne and blind the pilots by flicking toothpaste into their eyes. My dastardly plot was averted by poor planning and my usual inattention to detail.