Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Spring Birds - Finally! - Still Working on Technique

Real Name
    Suzan J

Spring Birds - Finally! - Still Working on Technique

Hello All: I am enthusiastically forging ahead with bird projects. I have dutifully followed some of your valuable previous advice and I think I am managing to get somewhat closer to my subjects. I am wearing CAMO (lol) and have been trekking about in the early morning. Also, as you folks have suggested, I am crouching low in hiding spots and waiting patiently for the feathered creatures to find me... These shots are severely cropped, but I hope I am getting somewhat better. C & C is welcome.

I think this is a Dark Eyed Junco, but feel free to correct me...
    _DSC0081 by Soo J, on Flickr

_DSC0113 by Soo J, on Flickr

_DSC0046 by Soo J, on Flickr

I think this is a Flicker. He was VERY hard to track.
    _DSC0031 by Soo J, on Flickr

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Spring Birds - Finally! - Still Working on Technique

Nice photos, Suzan, definitely improving Number 2 is my favourite, lovely catchlight in the eye, and the right crop for me.

Last photo is certainly a (northern)flicker, but can't see if male or female from this shot. Like you say, tricky little blighters!

Real Name
    Natalie

Very nice progress....I, too, think #2 is your best compo....ah, the flicker on flickr... I have yet to get a shot of the lovely bird...they don't like to be photographed, I'm afraid....

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Susan:
    Excellent feather detail and clear eyes. You did a really great job capturing small birds, which are the most difficult to photograph because they rarely stay long in one place. Congratulations.

Real Name
    james

Birds are so much fun. I have been chasing flickers for 2 years they are kinda shy to the camera. I like the junco in 3 best.

Real Name
    Dan

Nice job, Suzan. You must be pretty sneaky. I have to stick with big birds and wait for them to come to me. Well done.

Real Name
    Matthew

Nice job on these, Suzan...welcome to the "Camo Club" LOL Are you in full garb including facemask, gloves, and covering the camera too? If you don't have a facemask, the rest of the camo won't do much, FYI (Remember, their beady little eyes are sharp! Haha.) As you can tell I'm somewhat of a fanatic on the subject of camouflauge, and have thoroughly made myself look like a crazy person at the local parks. The odd stares and occasional giggle from onlookers (those that actually see me) don't really bother me much anymore

I like #2 and #3 the best. #2 I'd crop off the right side just to the left of the distracting squiggly twig. #3 the color temp looks a bit too warm to me.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Yes, I suppose I have been called "sneaky" on occasion. Strange, how this is a talent I'm now trying to develop! I have not yet taken the full plunge into a complete camo outfit. So far, I have been limited to my husband's sweatshirt and ball cap. I do, however, have my own camo coloured, soft-soled rubber boots (good for quiet stalking) and I have found a nice little hollow by the river bank where I can hide. If anyone were to stumble into the vicinity, I'm sure I would scare the wits out of them. Thank you for the suggestions and advice. It is always appreciated.

Real Name
    Christina

Very nice! #1 is my favourite, followed closely by #3. I really like the colours and composition in number 1 and the pose you captured in #3.