Thread: Sunset while leaving Brisbane

Sunset while leaving Brisbane

This sunset was captured while leaving Brisbane, Australia. It's not my usual HDR but I did use the same plug-ins that I use for my HDR images.
    Sunset while leaving Brisbane

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Re: Sunset while leaving Brisbane

HI Don,

Looks natural and cool.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Don. Nice image. I think I would have cropped most of the sky off leaving just the tip of the yellow-orange clouds on the right side. I don't think the clouds significantly add to the composition and it also puts the horizon dead center, vertically.

It looks like the image was sharpened, judging by the edges of the trees and the top of the trees in the distance. It looks like the ripples in the water, which I expect were caused by the wind, are over-sharpened. You might want to try a mask to prevent sharpening of the ripples, but I would keep the boat's wake sharp.

My two cents worth. You and others may disagree.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This photo must be viewed in the larger size. Otherwise, the waves in the water look overly sharpened. That's because of a moire effect that occurs when the photo is displayed at the smaller size.

This is an excellent example of properly breaking the "rule" that says we should leave space in front of the moving object. If you had done that and kept the same basic composition, you would not have captured the length of the boat's wake and the photo would have been far less interesting.

Thanks, Mike.