Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: HDR image

  1. #1
    RogerCook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    650
    Real Name
    Roger

    HDR image

    This was a HDR image using Photomatix and 5 images with a 1 stop difference then edited in photoshop.
    HDR image

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: HDR image

    Hi Roger,

    Just a quick note to say "no need for 1 stop intervals" - you can safely go to 2 minimum and reduce the number of shots in your bracket from 5 to 3, which makes things faster and less risk of alignment issues.

  3. #3
    RogerCook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    650
    Real Name
    Roger

    Re: HDR image

    Colin, I have an Olympus E-3 and I don't believe I can set it up that way (it's not one of the options in the menu) you can choose either 3 or five frames with either .3, .7 or 1.0 stops. Unless there's some way to program it differently, if so let me know i'll set it up. Or when using a tripod I can change it manually, Thanks for the tip.

  4. #4
    pnodrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Waipu, Northand, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,349
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: HDR image

    It is a nice shot and the lighting appears pleasantly soft. I would be interested in seeing the out of camera at normal exposure to appreciate the difference.

  5. #5
    Rhoads238's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    505
    Real Name
    Jason

    Re: HDR image

    really nice. Well composed and tastefully processed. Sometimes HDR can look too unrealistic for my taste. I recently picked up a copy of photomatix. Its a great software. It has so much more control than the HDR program in photoshop.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: HDR image

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerCook View Post
    Colin, I have an Olympus E-3 and I don't believe I can set it up that way (it's not one of the options in the menu) you can choose either 3 or five frames with either .3, .7 or 1.0 stops. Unless there's some way to program it differently, if so let me know i'll set it up. Or when using a tripod I can change it manually, Thanks for the tip.
    Hi Roger,

    I that's the case, then just discard shots 2 & 4 in the sequence before you pull them into Photomatix.

  7. #7
    teokf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brunei
    Posts
    542
    Real Name
    Steven

    Re: HDR image

    Hi Roger

    Another option is to use manual control. Fix the aperture and move the speed dial. But, Colin's suggestion is much easier 8)

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,594
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: HDR image

    Looks good, Roger. Just shows what can be achieved with HDR when the technique is used with restraint.

  9. #9
    RogerCook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    650
    Real Name
    Roger

    Re: HDR image

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Roger,

    I that's the case, then just discard shots 2 & 4 in the sequence before you pull them into Photomatix.
    Thanks Colin

  10. #10
    RogerCook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    650
    Real Name
    Roger

    Re: HDR image

    Quote Originally Posted by teokf View Post
    Hi Roger

    Another option is to use manual control. Fix the aperture and move the speed dial. But, Colin's suggestion is much easier 8)
    Yes I do that sometimes but this shot was taken on a monopod so couldn't.

  11. #11
    RogerCook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    650
    Real Name
    Roger

    Re: HDR image

    Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    It is a nice shot and the lighting appears pleasantly soft. I would be interested in seeing the out of camera at normal exposure to appreciate the difference.
    Here's the original.
    HDR image

  12. #12
    pnodrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Waipu, Northand, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,349
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: HDR image

    Thanks - Not ultra high dynamic range but you certainly managed to bring out the shadow and highlight details well.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: HDR image

    Here's a quick "refresh" from the original. As you can see, most of the detail is still contained in the shadow areas. To be honest, if it was under-exposed a little more to protect the highlight detail - and shot RAW - then it could probably have been just fine without needing HDRI (most cameras capture far more shadow detail than monitors can display).

    HDR image.

  14. #14
    RogerCook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Posts
    650
    Real Name
    Roger

    Re: HDR image

    Nice, thanks Colin for taking the time to help it is appreciated!

  15. #15
    pnodrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Waipu, Northand, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,349
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: HDR image

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Here's a quick "refresh" from the original. As you can see, most of the detail is still contained in the shadow areas. To be honest, if it was under-exposed a little more to protect the highlight detail - and shot RAW - then it could probably have been just fine without needing HDRI (most cameras capture far more shadow detail than monitors can display).

    HDR image.
    Great Colin - it reflects the approach I would tend to use although the image Roger produced has handled the range well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •