Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A bit to much?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

A bit to much?

Usually I try and avoid having to many elements in a photograph but it was such a nice scene so when the birds took off I decided to get a few shots as they flew past. Usually a bit difficult to get a decent composition without doing a fair amount of cloning birds out or moving them. Managed to get to this one with just a bit of cropping. It may be a bit messy but that's nature.

A bit to much?

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: A bit to much?

It's not messy at all. Some of these comments may be due to the below par work monitor I'm viewing on:

The sky looks a little oversaturated.

If you wanted to try to tidy things up a little, then maybe cloning out the bird which is cutting the shoreline (4th from right) might help.

The bird on the left balances the image, but if you're up to trying a little trickery, then maybe cutting it and dropping it a little further down from the shoreline might help.

Having said that, I've just suggested some things there that I would not do to an image of mine, but it might give a little more order to what you see as too many elements in the image.

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    It's not messy at all. Some of these comments may be due to the below par work monitor I'm viewing on:

The sky looks a little oversaturated.

If you wanted to try to tidy things up a little, then maybe cloning out the bird which is cutting the shoreline (4th from right) might help.

The bird on the left balances the image, but if you're up to trying a little trickery, then maybe cutting it and dropping it a little further down from the shoreline might help.

Having said that, I've just suggested some things there that I would not do to an image of mine, but it might give a little more order to what you see as too many elements in the image.
    The saturation was worrying me as usually the pre-sets I use with Lightroom are fine. It all looked a bit over saturated on my screen but I just assumed the ambient lighting was misleading me. Phil your observations with which I agree have forced me to edit in Photoshop - it's such a tough life doing photography. Thanks for the prod.

A bit to much?

Real Name
    Paul

Anybody else's comment welcome.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think Phil covered all the key points and the re-work is a huge improvement, in my opinion. The work has turned the picture from a snapshot into an image to stop and look at.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    ...The work has turned the picture from a snapshot into an image to stop and look at.
    I agree.

L. Paul, what type of bird are they?

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    I agree.

L. Paul, what type of bird are they?
    Pied Oystercatcher

I would class the original as more of a grab-shot than a snapshot but in either case there was little time to consider composition other than I crouched down to move the birds higher in the frame. I was walking along a beach full of them and they kept walking away until a dog chased them into the air so as they flew past very low I grabbed shots while I could.

When I put the first photo up I was aware that the highest bird needed exterminating but Phil pointed out that the leading bird was also a bit too high.

Thank you Donald and Bruce for commenting.

Real Name
    Mike

I like the three birds in a row. All other edits have helped the image.

Real Name
    Paul

Nice job, Paul. The edits helped. Looks like a nice spot to spen a bit of time.

Real Name
    Bruce

Nice photograph. Bruce

Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
    I like the three birds in a row. All other edits have helped the image.
    Thanks - yes I like the three birds in formation but unfortunately they are a bit more central than I would like. I may shift them.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Nice job, Paul. The edits helped. Looks like a nice spot to spen a bit of time.
    Paul the place is called Huia and is about 15 minutes from my daughters place just out of Auckland. The surrounding area has some lovely bush walks but the main attraction is the general store that sells ice-cream, fish and chips and very good coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Nice photograph. Bruce
    Thanks Bruce.