Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ocotillo in B&W

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Ocotillo in B&W

The Ocotillo is a succulent plant, though not a cactus, found in the desert. This is my favorite photo of several Ocotillos from my recent trip to Arizona's Sonoran Desert.

The Giant Saguaro cactus in the background is surrounded by a Palo Verde tree, which is the Arizona state tree. I wonder if the Palo Verde acted as the Saguaro's shelter plant, which is any plant that shelters a young cactus from the environment long enough that it can eventually prosper on its own.

Note for viewing: TinyPic isn't uploading the photo in the size that I normally use, so for now I'll settle for the small image. I'll try uploading a larger image later after the gremlins have departed. EDIT: It's not TinyPic. The image I first tried to load exceeds the limitation on the height by 80 pixels.

Ocotillo in B&W
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 27th April 2013 at 08:03 PM.

Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

Re: Ocotillo in B&W

Nice shot Mike. I love it.

I'm drawn to the center of the plant, and then the branches take me to the sky and the great texture of the clouds. The saguaro on the right gives some context.

Well done.

Nice composition and the sky looks good in B&W.

That image is 900 pixels on the long side which should be quite sufficient for normal viewing.

I find some people are uploading excessively large images which are far bigger than normal screen viewing requirements. They take so long to load on my screen that I just don't bother with them.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks, guys! Though I like this one, it gives me the feeling that I wish I had also tried shooting from a lower position just in case I might like the resulting composition better.

Geoff: I usually post images that are no bigger than 1920 x 1080, which should load reasonably fast. The file that I initially tried to upload is a rare situation in which the height is 1080, which exceeds TinyPic's 1000 pixel limit on the height.