Thread: Macro Bee shot

Real Name
    mat

Macro Bee shot

I had the good fortune to see this bee warming itself in the morning sun and it was quite happy (unable to move) to sit and pose for me. There are other shots to process and they will follow but I'd love to hear peoples opinions before I potentially waste my time on photoshop so please leave feedback and advice if you have any.
    Thanks for viewing
    mat

Macro Bee shot

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Macro Bee shot

I think it is a beautiful photo. Amazing focus, clarity, great detail and a beautiful bokeh...

However, something about the orientation of the photo feels odd to me. Should it be in portrait orientation? Perhaps it is just me.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    I think it is a beautiful photo. Amazing focus, clarity, great detail and a beautiful bokeh...

However, something about the orientation of the photo feels odd to me. Should it be in portrait orientation? Perhaps it is just me.
    I tend to agree with Christina. Initially it took me a moment to figure out what I was looking at. But the quality of the image is good. I hope you'll post more from your shoot of the bee.

Real Name
    mat

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post

Thanks, I agree about the weird angle, as it happens this was exactly how it looked when I first saw it, almost arching it's back into the sun ! To be honest I wasn't sure whether it was still alive as its pose was so odd and it was so unaffected by my presence, it was only when I got this close and was able to see the colour in its eyes that I was sure it was living !!
    I will post some others that hopefully aren't so peculiar to look at

Looks like a form of Bee Fly to me, Mat. Which isn't actually a bee. Bombylius family.

Possibly a different crop would help to put it into better context. Something along the lines of showing a fraction more from the top and bottom. You could even lose a little from the left side if that helped. Maybe try somewhere around 5 x 4 ratio?

Real Name
    mat

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Looks like a form of Bee Fly to me, Mat. Which isn't actually a bee. Bombylius family.

Possibly a different crop would help to put it into better context. Something along the lines of showing a fraction more from the top and bottom. You could even lose a little from the left side if that helped. Maybe try somewhere around 5 x 4 ratio?
    Thanks Geoff, I stand corrected. My ability to identify them is matched by my ability to photograph them ; It's mostly a matter of good luck and decent equiptment !!
    I think you are right about the crop too
    mat