Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My Underwater Camera Setup

Real Name
    Karl

My Underwater Camera Setup

I just thought I would put up a couple of images of my underwater camera setup in case anyone is interested.

The camera is the Olympus OMD EM-5 and I have the 12 - 50mm & 60mm macro lenses.

The housing is by Nauticam on the front of the port I have a 'flip diopter holder' which holds a +3 macro wet lens / diopter to assist with extra magnification - using this I can have it open or closed depending on circumstances.

The strobes are Sea & Sea YS110A and are fired by fibre optic cables and I have just mounted my 'new' (well 2nd hand) GoPro Hero 2 to the housing so I can do both stills and video

Any questions just ask

Karl

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: My Underwater Camera Setup

The top mounted GoPro and the wet diopter are the next items on my wishlist...

Nice setup, Karl.

- Bill

Real Name
    Karl

Bill thanks for that. I was lucky enough to pick up the GoPro 2nd hand for a real cheap price so I couldn't pass it up. I like the idea of being able to video as I am shooting stills especially for those moments when something appears and you don't have the right lens on etc - at least with the GoPro you will be able to get some sort of image.

Karl

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    ...I have just mounted my 'new' (well 2nd hand) GoPro Hero 2 to the housing so I can do both stills and video
    You dawg, I heard you like photos, so we put a camera on your camera so you can take photos while you take photos.

Memes aside, that's a pretty good idea. At present, my dive camera is just an HD Hero 3 Silver mounted to a modified Triple 8 helmet. Though I can operate the controls, I can't confirm that the camera's running, so I usually just let it roll for the whole dive. Occasionally I'll turn to my dive buddies and ask via hand signals if the LED's still blinking.

Someday I'll probably get into underwater still photography. But it can be tricky above 200ft in the Great Lakes. Viz out here is less than awesome.

Real Name
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    Someday I'll probably get into underwater still photography. But it can be tricky above 200ft in the Great Lakes. Viz out here is less than awesome.
    Thanks - I know what you mean about poor vis as most of the dive sites where I dive the vis is usually < 4m but I am off to Bali in Sep so this setup will get a fantastic workout then

Karl

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've never gotten into dive photography, too much bloody gear to haul about to start with. Vis that is certainly no better than 3 or 4 m max up here and add a rip roaring current in cold water (most of my diving has been in the St Lawrence River and a bit in Lake Ontario). I don't enjoy tropical diving all that much; but got to love those wrecks we have up in this part of the world. I haven't been in the water in a couple of years (arthritis in my foot = very painful finning), but hopefully once I recover from the surgery I'll be able to get back in the water.