Thread: Sad Reflection on the Industry - Modelling scouts target anorexia patients

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Sad Reflection on the Industry - Modelling scouts target anorexia patients

Real Name
    John

Re: Sad Reflection on the Industry - Modelling scouts target anorexia patients

I guess it depends on the modeling assignment. If the client is marketing a service that caters to anorexic patients then...

However if the modeling agencies are just looking for that gaunt Kate Moss look they can surely find someone on the city streets.

Real Name

I suspect strongly that they don't have the patients/models best interests at heart ...

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

We've got the same problem here too, so it stretches from antipod to antipod. It's a big shame.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Whie this is indeed a sad story, it is hardly surprising. With all of the noise and condemnation about unrealistic altering body of shapes with Photoshop, the obvious industry move is to use models that look like this "naturally", with no image manipulation required. The fashion industry is (and always has been) addicted to an unrealistic view of what the perfect body looks like. Shame on them.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I wonder if the people who run the fashion industry have ever done any analysis to see if the public has a huge preference for skinny women; or if they have a self selecting internal bias. It would be an easy experiment to run, and maybe something an academic could do for a grant from a group like the clinic for anorexics. After all; if there was substantiated data to support that premise that people don't find anorexic models the most attractive then maybe this would help to change the afflicted girls self image.

I wonder if I could bribe an a academic to publish a study that pudgy 59 year old men are the new standard for physical perfection?

Real Name
    Andrew

Keep in mind the models of this size are in demand primarily for the benefit other women and their preferences/vanities/egos. Most men like curves and lots of them. Hell, men want to get them out of the haute couture they are modeling.

Real Name
    Lex

The excuse I've heard from designers is that there's a sort of standard body type and dimensions high-fashion clothes are made for. So designers make their stuff in a vacuum, assuming they'll find someone it fits. Regardless, encouraging everyone with two X chromosomes to look like Justin Bieber at age 13 is ridiculous at best, and deadly at worst. Magazine racks literally make me queasy.

I'm a big fan of Israel's new "Photoshop Laws." They specify a minimum (but still pretty low) BMI for models in advertising, and require disclaimers when certain PP techniques are used.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    I wonder if the people who run the fashion industry have ever done any analysis to see if the public has a huge preference for skinny women
    Very timely that you should mention that -- I came across this yesterday ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=10879016

Real Name
    Greg

FWIW I think the fashion industry's obsession with anorectic waifs is a sign of failure. If the designers are so good at what they do, then why don't their clothes look good on normal (full-bodied) women? In fact, it seems to me that their clothes probably look best only when draped on hangers: the insertion of an actual body inside the garment risks distorting its form, so they seek the smallest bodies possible.

But if it is a question of desire, I am pretty sure most men would rate a woman's personality above here appearance any day.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    FWIW I think the fashion industry's obsession with anorectic waifs is a sign of failure. If the designers are so good at what they do, then why don't their clothes look good on normal (full-bodied) women? In fact, it seems to me that their clothes probably look best only when draped on hangers: the insertion of an actual body inside the garment risks distorting its form, so they seek the smallest bodies possible.
    I think you're right.

But if it is a question of desire, I am pretty sure most men would rate a woman's personality above here appearance any day.
    One would hope so, but sadly, I'm not quite as convinced about that.

Here's an interesting example - Gulfstream Girl - https://www.facebook.com/GulfstreamGirl. Ex model turned pilot. By all accounts she's an extremely competent pilot and flight instructor - pilot in command of some very very very nice business jet hardware (I'm not jealous) (Ok - I AM jealous - I'm REALLY jealous!) - appears to have a great personality - and ... is a VERY attractive lady. Her facebook page currently has over 16,000 people following her (and I had to work hard to just get to 200!) - and reading through many of the comments, it's still her appearance that seems "overly represented".

Or put another way - if she wasn't as attractive, but everything else remained the same, I wonder if she'd have anywhere near the same number of followers? (which would be a pity I might add, because she really does do a great job).

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    ...her facebook page currently has over 16,000 people following her (and I had to work hard to just get to 200!) - and reading through many of the comments, it's still her appearance that seems "overly represented".

Or put another way - if she wasn't as attractive, but everything else remained the same, I wonder if she'd have anywhere near the same number of followers? (which would be a pity I might add, because she really does do a great job).
    Frankly? No. How many other commercial pilots have 16k followers? I think being hardwired to pay more attention to the pretty ones is an evolutionary leftover encouraging us to seek the most physically sound mate. That's broadly problematic when there are people trying to turn arguably unhealthy bodies into our collective definition of beauty. It's interesting how Darwin's Theory can affect how many Facebook followers a pretty pilot has.

But take heart, Colin - I have a whopping nine Facebook followers.

Real Name
    Andrew

And the girls with the dyed hair, face lift, collagen lips, boob job, tummy and butt tuck, personal trainer, manicure and make-up is looking for a "Real Man".

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    Frankly? No. How many other commercial pilots have 16k followers?
    Well there was captain Dave's blog (which I suspect was just as popular), but he disappeared off the face of the earth suddenly

I think being hardwired to pay more attention to the pretty ones is an evolutionary leftover encouraging us to seek the most physically sound mate. That's broadly problematic when there are people trying to turn arguably unhealthy bodies into our collective definition of beauty. It's interesting how Darwin's Theory can affect how many Facebook followers a pretty pilot has.
    Well put!

But take heart, Colin - I have a whopping nine Facebook followers.
    I want more darn it -- it's a measure of my success as a man for heaven sake!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    And the girls with the dyed hair, face lift, collagen lips, boob job, tummy and butt tuck, personal trainer, manicure and make-up is looking for a "Real Man".
    Ha - frankly, I don't think ANY of them really know WHAT they're looking for!

PS: Had to laugh last night -- I called in to Burger King for a feed on the way home last night, and queued behind three "real men"; one spent the whole time adjusting the numerous bits of metal piercing his face - another spent the time pulling up his trousers that were 15 sizes too small and only came 1/2 way up his butt (seriously, what are they thinking!), whilst the third looked like he was custodian of the group IQ (which in total still only reached 60).

Sheesh!
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 24th April 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    ...three "real men"; one spent the whole time adjusting the numerous bits of metal piercing his face - another spent the time pulling up his trousers that were 15 sizes too small and only came 1/2 way up his butt (seriously, what are they thinking!), whilst the third looked like he was custodian of the group IQ (which in total still only reached 60).
    If those types bother you at Burger King, you should try working night club security. Members of this species inevitably have something to prove. We used to call them "customers."