Thread: Playing with the moon

Real Name
    Jon

Playing with the moon

When I got home around 6pm the sun was still in the sky, but so was the moon. I just had to have a couple of shots before I got to my chores.

C&C most welcomed.

1.Playing with the moon

Not really sure about this one...but there is something I like about it...
    2.Playing with the moon

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Playing with the moon

Jon

On the first one, I'd be tempted to try cropping it tighter. For example, on the right, I'd crop just to the right of that vertical limb. I don't think the image necessarily needs what else is to the right of that.

I agree that the idea of the second one is good, but I'd like to have seen just a bit of detail of the moon's surface.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Agreed with all points made by Donald. I like the slight touch of softness in the foreground trees. Works great for me.

I wonder if I could convince you to edit your post so my wife doesn't see it and get the idea that I should get to my chores as quickly as you got to yours.

Real Name
    Jon

Donald, thanks for the advice. Here is a crop of the 1st and another shot just after the 2nd with a little bit of moon detail but I lost most of the detail in the tree.

Playing with the moon

Playing with the moon

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The first one is still the better one for me, especially in the revised version. If you go back to the color version of it, select the sky (and only the sky) and apply a small amount of noise reduction or Gaussian blur, the sky will be more even once you convert to black-and-white. Just make sure that you don't lose the crisp edge of the moon.

Real Name
    Jon

Mike, thanks for the advice.

The reason I get on my chores so quickly is because I am married to a short red-head....and I am scared to death of her

Real Name
    Chris

This might be a little off topic, but as far as shooting the moon at night or low light, what are some tips on how to avoid 'blowing out' the image.. as in having your levels peaked at completely black (background) and completely white (the moon), just trial and error?