Thread: Workflow DPP to GIMP

Real Name
    Blake

Workflow DPP to GIMP

I have done a search for this as I believe I have seen it addressed but am coming up with no results. If someone knows where a similar thread is please direct. I am using DPP to PP RAW photos, I would like to then take them to GIMP for more work. GIMP will not open the RAW files and I have converted to TIFF. With the TIFF files GIMP will open them but I can not modify them. I have been searching GIMP help files all day, as well as Canon sites. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Blake

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Workflow DPP to GIMP

Quote Originally Posted by blakeshinn View Post
    I have done a search for this as I believe I have seen it addressed but am coming up with no results. If someone knows where a similar thread is please direct. I am using DPP to PP RAW photos, I would like to then take them to GIMP for more work. GIMP will not open the RAW files and I have converted to TIFF. With the TIFF files GIMP will open them but I can not modify them. I have been searching GIMP help files all day, as well as Canon sites. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Blake
    Blake.

One question to consider is - If you are working them in the GIMP, why don't you take the TIFF that you made in DPP and 'Save' it. That then defaults to GIMPs native .xcf format. And although you can work with a TIFF in the GIMP, I find that it's better to save it as an .xcf. That then gives you more options for going back to it and re-editing etc.

GIMP will not open RAW files.

However, if you want to work on it as a TIFF and then save what you do, you don't you 'Save' or 'Save As'. You need to use 'Export' or Export to'. The Save and Save as only allow you to save as .xcf. With Export you can save it any one of the many formats that are presented in the drop down 'Save as type' dialogue (Tiff, PNG, JPEG, etc etc).

If this isn't addressing the problem you have, sorry. Can't think what else the problem would be.

Real Name
    Blake

My problem is on the import side of GIMP. DPP only lets me save as RAW, JPEG or TIFF(8 or 16 bit). JPEG doesn't support layers and is ,from what I can understand, an inferior file type as far as data compression goes. I can't find anything in GIMPs help files that say if it is compatible with TIFFs or am I stuck with only the JPEG. I guess my basic question is "how do I get a photo shot in RAW out of my camera into GIMP?"

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

My problem is on the import side of GIMP. DPP only lets me save as RAW, JPEG or TIFF(8 or 16 bit). JPEG doesn't support layers and is ,from what I can understand, an inferior file type as far as data compression goes. I can't find anything in GIMPs help files that say if it is compatible with TIFFs or am I stuck with only the JPEG. I guess my basic question is "how do I get a photo shot in RAW out of my camera into GIMP?"
    Blake I'm not a GIMP user but are you using 8 bit or 16 bit TIF's ? I thought that GIMP used to support only 8 bit but it may have changed in recent times.

Dave

Real Name
    Blake

First attempt was 16. GIMP said it was not able to import and would convert it to 8. After that, when I opened the file everything locked up. Next attempt was 8, Gimp opened the file ok but I could not do any editing. I am applying red wine to the problem now. May not fix the problem but I think I will feel better about it.

Cheers,

Blake

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Blake,

You're right. Gimp only accepts 8bit TIFF.

This is my workflow when converting from NEF to 8bitTIF to jpg in gimp2.8.
    Below is the resulting jpg image.

1. In viewNX2 , convert NEF image to TIFF 8bit. The converted image is automatically saved to my designated folder.
    2. Open in gimp2.8 the 8bitTIF. . A box "Import from TIF" appears. select "page 1", click "import".
    3. The 8bitTIF image opens inside gimp2.8, ( in this sample, I cloned out some distractions.)
    4. To save the edited 8bitTIF image to jpg, click "File/Export"
    5. "Export Image" box appears. In the "Name" box the file name appears,
    now, this is impt. change the TIF extension to JPG by manually typing it in.
    6. click "Export" then "Export Image as JPEG" box appears, click "Export".
    it saves and appears in its designated folder.

Here's the jpg image.

Workflow DPP to GIMP

HTH

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

First attempt was 16. GIMP said it was not able to import and would convert it to 8. After that, when I opened the file everything locked up.
    Right. So my last post didn't address the problem. I think my answer would be relevant once you get over this particular issue, because I do think that once you get the 8-bit TIFF into GIMP it makes sense to Save it as an .xcf, work on it and then Export it back to TIFF and/or JPEG as you desire (and keep the .xcf for any future re-work).

But, to be able to get to that point. I haven't experienced what you are experiencing at the moment and wonder if this is one of those unexplainable things that 'just happen' from time-to time, the answer for which might be to uninstall GIMP and reinstall it.

Real Name
    Blake

Thank you!! Victor, not sure why you need to select "page one" but it works. Don, a reboot seems to have solved the problem. Either had too many programs open, or the initial attempt to open the 16 bit TIF confused it too much. Thank you for the "save" vs "export" explanation. I agree with you on saving the .xcf

Blake

Real Name
    Brian

Blake, I use Raw Therapee to convert my raw images. I then choose if I want to PP them in RW or Gimp. I have the option then to save them as TIFF, PNG 8 or 16 bits or JPG.
    The results I get very much depend on the application of the red stuff.

Real Name
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Blake.

One question to consider is - If you are working them in the GIMP, why don't you take the TIFF that you made in DPP and 'Save' it. That then defaults to GIMPs native .xcf format. And although you can work with a TIFF in the GIMP, I find that it's better to save it as an .xcf. That then gives you more options for going back to it and re-editing etc.

GIMP will not open RAW files.

However, if you want to work on it as a TIFF and then save what you do, you don't you 'Save' or 'Save As'. You need to use 'Export' or Export to'. The Save and Save as only allow you to save as .xcf. With Export you can save it any one of the many formats that are presented in the drop down 'Save as type' dialogue (Tiff, PNG, JPEG, etc etc).

If this isn't addressing the problem you have, sorry. Can't think what else the problem would be.
    A bit late in replying to this post, but many thanks. I have recently started to use GIMP, but couldn't quite work out how to save as a JPEG, your explanation, "Save as type" answered my question.

Alan