Thread: Lone gondola

Real Name
    Phil Page

Lone gondola

Well streets in Venice are waterbound, so I guess this is 'street'.

A lone gondola ventures out across the entrance of the Grand Canal near St Mark's Square. It was a little choppy in this area, but still calm throughout the smaller canals. Hopefully the customers had their sea legs...

Lone gondola

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Lone gondola

I love the balance and harmony of the composition that puts the gondola in that position relative to the buldings behind. Look at the gondolier and at the tower/spire. And then at the relationship in shape between the gondolier and his gondola and the tower/spire and the other buildings below it. They're the same. And that fact that the ends of the gondola 'frame' those buildings. Brilliant. Superb stuff, Phil.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks Donald - I was waiting for the vaporetto (water bus) to take us from San Marco back to the car park and saw this frame coming up from the bus stop. Luckily the motor launch in the distance was in the right spot as well, or it would have thrown the composition a little off.

Real Name
    Richard

Very neat shot Phil! It looks a bit chilly!

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I love the balance and harmony of the composition that puts the gondola in that position relative to the buldings behind. Look at the gondolier and at the tower/spire. And then at the relationship in shape between the gondolier and his gondola and the tower/spire and the other buildings below it. They're the same. And that fact that the ends of the gondola 'frame' those buildings. Brilliant. Superb stuff, Phil.
    Thanks, Phil for sharing this. It is very, very nice. And thanks Donald for helping me understand why I found it so commanding of contemplation.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

I will agree with Mark. Thanks Phil and Donald. Lots to be learned in this image.

It must be the widest "street" I have ever seen in my life.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks Richard, Mark and Andre. Yes, a bit cold, especially after the Middle East!