Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sagauro cacti in color

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Sagauro Cacti in color

I don't live among Saguaro cacti and wonder if people who are accustomed to seeing them in their daily life find them to be as amazing as I do. The first branch of a Saguaro begins to grow when the cactus is about 60 to 80 years old. The Saguaro is the home to insects that live inside the cactus because the internal temperature is about 30 degrees cooler than the outside temperature, which soars to 120 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius) in the summer. The holes in the cacti are produced by birds feeding on the insects, though holes prevalently seen in most of them are not seen in these two photos. The internal skeleton of the cactus after it has died often looks much like poles of bamboo and has the texture of typical wood, not at all like the outer shell of the cactus.

Sagauro cacti in color

Sagauro cacti in color
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 19th April 2013 at 10:21 PM.

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Sagauro Cacti in color

I like them Mike, quite nice. I hope someday to have an opportunity to see them, your description makes me want that to happen sooner rather than later.

Real Name
    Terri

Sorry, duplicated for some reason...

Real Name
    Terri

Mike, I like both of these. I like the composition on both but especially how you lined up the cacti in the second. And I like the color the best in the first one.

I remember enjoying the film presentation at the Saguaro National Park better than any I remember at any parks. The way they ended with drawing up the screen to reveal a large picture window with a view of the Saguaros. It was beautiful. Thanks for the reminder!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Joe: If you get to Phoenix, don't feel that you have to go to Saguaro National Park to see the Saguaros. They're everywhere in the state and municipal parks around the city.

Terri: I don't remember seeing a film at the park, but it has been 11 years since I went to it. During this last trip, I don't think we went further than 30 minutes away from our place in Scottsdale.