Thread: Street Scene, Two Homeless People, (BW)

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Street Scene, Two Homeless People, (BW)

I did a version of this picture earlier called Surf USA. It was in color and had a different emphasis than this picture. In this photograph I like the ghostly image of the passerby. Comments welcomed.

Street Scene, Two Homeless People, (BW)

Karm

Real Name
    mark

Re: Street Scene, Two Homeless People, (BW)

I think it tells a story. nice capture Karm.

Thanks Mark.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Karm, when I see 102 views and only 1 comment I always wonder why. Is the image that bad that members do not want to comment or is it that good that they do not know how to comment.

I will give this one a go:
    The bench in the foreground is distracting and does not contribute to the image. Looking at the main subject in the image, the two guys sitting, I would like them to be in focus and sharp. It seems as if you shot this hand held whilst the shutter speed was to low.

The blurred image in the picture adds very nicely to making this a great idea. The B&W adds to the mood in this image.

If you had the opportunity to do a re-shoot it will be great.

It was an almost great street shot!

Real Name
    Warrick

Just some of my own thoughts on this...
    I agree with Andre about the bench and the main subjects being in focus, also if you had moved left more to capture more of the mural behind of the women crying.

Real Name
    Peter

These are difficult shots to make Karm, because not all of your street subjects will like to be photographed, so you have to move fast. And that of course doesn't work with the half second exposure time that you have here.
    You could try to push the ISO up next time, if it works for your camera quality wise and maybe try to get a bit closer even. Did you talk to them? If they are ok with having their photo taken and you can explain what you are using it for, it might make it all a bit more relaxed.

Nice project.

Peter, privacy was not an issue. I was piggybacking on the work of a tv crew doing filming. Lighting was terrible. It is a handheld shot. I wanted the person walking to be a blur. There's something about the blurred movement of the passerby against the relative stillness of the two people sitting that I wanted to capture. It doesn't bother me that the two people sitting are a bit out of focus.

Karm

Thanks Andre. I agree with your bench comment. However, I couldn't help including it. I wanted the passerby to be blurred. Also, for reasons of lighting I believe my shutter was set wide open. Personally, I'm not bothered by the two people sitting being blurred. The purpose of the image has more to do with the contrast between the passerby being blurred and the two people sitting being relatively still. For me it represents two different worlds that the passerby and people sitting occupy.

Also, I'll settle for almost a great street shot. Sometimes circumstances dictate that this is the best we can do.

Karm