Thread: Exif Data problems going to Google Chrome

Real Name
    Grahame

Exif Data problems going to Google Chrome

Good evening all,

I had been using 'Opanda IExif' up until today to view the Exif data of images contained within CiC (where available) and all that has been required is a right mouse click on the image, select show exif from the menu and a neat little box comes up adjacent with all the data.

A couple of days ago I had to upgrade to Google Chrome to allow licence renewal of my internet security programme and whilst this seems to have improved browsing speed and now given me a 100% lightbox working function with CiC my Opanda is not compatible with Chrome.

I have searched the web and downloaded various Exif Addons for Chrome but these either do not work well or open up a separate web page with the Exif Data on. Not exactly user friendly to me.

Is there anyone out there that actually uses Google Chrome with an Exif Viewer for viewing online images such as on CiC that they can reccommend.

Thanks in advance, Grahame

Update : After some more browsing and testing downloads have come up with 'Exif Reader' from
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jpnbfobpnljnki

On passing the cursor onto the image if there is relavant exif present a small box appears that shows the limited basics of Camera model, f stop, ISO, speed and focal length. For more detailed data there appears no other option than to save the file and look at the full exif using Opanda or switch to another Chrome Exif viewer that will give all data on a separate web page.
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 15th April 2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Updated investigation

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Exif Data problems going to Google Chrome

Hi Grahame,

I use a plug in called "Exif Viewer" on Chrome under windows. You right click on the image, click on "show exif" and a panel appears with the exif data and histograms. The amount of exif data shown is configurable.

UNFORTUNATELY it seems to have disappeared from the Chrome store, though it still works for me. Don't know if this is temporary or permanent.

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Based on reports I have seen, I think you're probably missing a lot of detail when using Chrome to view photos. As an example, I posted a photo that included a shadow on a dark background. Dave Humphries couldn't see the shadow using Chrome and I couldn't see it using Explorer even though it was immediately apparent for both of us using FireFox.

Real Name
    Dave

I posted a photo that included a shadow on a dark background. Dave Humphries couldn't see the shadow using Chrome
    Interesting. There have been occasions when I couldn't see artifacts that other members could. Although I like Chrome for general browsing for a number of reasons, I'm going to cut over to Firefox (which I do use as well) as my engine of choice for CiC, and see how I get on.

Thanks for the heads up

Dave

Real Name
    Grahame

Dave and Mike,

Thank you both for the replies.

Dave, the Exif Viewer you describe appears to be exactly what I was after but as you say not available at the Chrome store now. I noted that on finding some of these viewers on attempting to go to the site it said no longer available with a re-direction notice to the Chrome store of which they were not on, strange.

Mike, during my investigations I also came across discussions referring to Chrome not being image friendly due to its colour profiles (that's an area that confuses me).

Perhaps it's just a sign of my age but I do find now that we are often forced to change or upgrade these days, gain lots of extras us oldies do not need or want to use and lose what we have been used to. On the other hand it may simply be that my my brain can not keep up with the technology

Grahame

Real Name
    Virginia

I use the Tiffen Dfx3.0 software to look at the EXIF data. I really like the filter set (which is why I bought it) basically replicates their entire set of non-digital filters + they have weekly seminars in how to use the software. It comes as a plugin for PS and also as a standalone package (my personal choice) One of my students also wrote a small app in PHP that he can access on his website from his 'Droid to examine the EXIF data on any site.

Hope this helps.

virginia

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Interesting. There have been occasions when I couldn't see artifacts that other members could. Although I like Chrome for general browsing for a number of reasons, I'm going to cut over to Firefox (which I do use as well) as my engine of choice for CiC, and see how I get on.

Thanks for the heads up

Dave
    If you do go over to Firefox you might want to have a look at Exify for Exif data. As soon as your mouse hovers over a photo the exif data will show. Strangely enough it doesn't work on my own photos that are linked from Flickr, although I can see all the relevant exif data in Flickr itself, so I know that it is there.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    If you do go over to Firefox you might want to have a look at Exify for Exif data. As soon as your mouse hovers over a photo the exif data will show.
    That sounds useful Peter, thanks, I'll look it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    Strangely enough it doesn't work on my own photos that are linked from Flickr, although I can see all the relevant exif data in Flickr itself, so I know that it is there.
    Flickr must block it, fortunately I know that once you're viewing a single image (not a photostream), you can add "meta" after the final slash in the url and get to the exif data page they provide.

However, that always seems a phaff (e.g. compared to PBase or Picasa).
    Does any Flickr user know if there is a hyper-link method to get to the meta page?
    If so, what page do you need to be viewing to access it, I have looked at "All Sizes" and various others and cannot find one.

TIA,

Real Name
    Ted

Last time I used Chrome it was not honoring embedded profiles so that might explain poor images if posted as aRGB and even worse as ProPhoto. And is there a possibility that it would also ignore an embedded sRGB profile and use it's own generic version? Explorer 8 is just as bad, don't know about later versions, though.

Safari is good for color-profiled images.

Real Name
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Does any Flickr user know if there is a hyper-link method to get to the meta page?
    If so, what page do you need to be viewing to access it, I have looked at "All Sizes" and various others and cannot find one.

TIA,
    Hi Dave, you can find the link once viewing individual photos in a user's photostream by clicking the drop down menu "actions" and then selecting "view exif info". Not all photos have this option though and the amount of info displayed varies