Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Advice please on shooting eagles

Real Name
    Terri

Advice please on shooting eagles

I posted a while back about a possible eagle's nest that is less than 10 miles from our home. My husband checked back a few days ago to see if any were nesting yet and spotted 2 eagles. When I arrived, there was only 1 staying near the nest and the other that had been flying around had left. I did a few test shots from the best spots my husband had scoped out but unfortunately it is just too far away even for my 400mm lens. Walking slowly, trying to zig zag across an open field (trying to get to a line of small trees) resulted in the bird moving off the nest to another tree so we retreated.

We plan to go back on Monday morning when the light is better and the temps cooler to see if we can get any closer. We are walking a path of trees that run east/west along the open field. The nest is in a group of trees that runs north/south of that open field. The below pics are taken from our east/west trail about 650 yards from the nest. After looking at Google Earth, it appears that we can get past obstructions that my husband encountered to find an open area that will give us a view from about 250 yards and still be in the cover of a tree line so we don't disturb the eagles.

OK. I've read a publication from the Texas Parks and Wildlife and know that we should stay at least 750 ft away. I know that if we make the birds nervous or make them fly from the nest then we should back off. I will have my tripod, my long lens, binoculars and my husband will have a movie camera with a pretty good zoom. Any other tips that y'all can give me to make this a successful shoot would be most appreciated. I've never been this close to an eagle in the wild so I'll be excited to just be able to see it!

Extreme crop.

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Advice please on shooting eagles

I'll look forward to seeing the results of your second shoot. The wild eagles I've seen seemed to be more habituated to people than your nesting pair are. One time there was a bunch of them sitting on the power line across the road from our motel door.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Terri:
    The eagles may be nervous because it is about hatching time. I've tried going out in the morning before dawn and setting up my tripod focused on the nest. I have used camouflage netting over the camera/tripod set-up and some Pocket Wizard III remote triggers. Once you're set-up and focused, you can fire off countless shots when there is activity around the nest. Meanwhile you stay undercover in the brush. Eagles have phenomenal vision and can spot a fish from 500 or more yards. If you are using a Canon 400mm, that big white lens is like a beacon - you might consider investing in a LensCoat camouflage cover.

Now with all that great advice you'd think I had a wall of great eagle photos, wouldn't you? Unfortunately, the few trips I've taken especially for eagles have resulted in few birds within lens range and we don't have eagles where I live. Good luck.

Real Name
    james

Terri I have been watching a nest too. My best oppurtunities have come from when they change places, one will fly in and sometimes they get closer. Eagle nesting sites are protected and 330 ft distance is supposed to be kept, I dont know how well this is enforced. I wish you luck.

.Advice please on shooting eagles

I took these with my 400 all from the 330ft distance. They are cropped pretty hard.
    As for camoflage for the lens . I cut the sleeve off an older camo shirt I had it works real well and was a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by jamn4ex; 14th April 2013 at 05:23 AM.

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks for the suggestions. We've got camouflage netting and I hadn't thought to take it.

James, My husband thought he read 300 yards was the minimum distance but he now cannot find it. The Texas Parks thing I read said 750 ft (250 yards). Did you mean 330 ft or yards and do you remember where you read that? I've tried google and mostly I get info on the laws on moving, capturing, etc. Great shots that you got there! I'm thinking that the flying birds may be my best chance rather than being able to get close enough to the nest.

Real Name
    james

Terri I think the Tenneessee wildlife and Resource agency . Put up a sign saying to remain 330 ft. from the nest. But these rulings could be region specific or maybe if that ruling is different maybe cause that nest is located in a park? The eagle will usually sit somewhere close to the mate in the nest, sometimes up or downstream, or across the river.