Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: More Show Photography

Real Name
    Homer

More Show Photography

Friday night I attended the re-scheduled (snow cancellation 2/9) 'Blues Summit' at the Flying Monkey Theater in Plymouth, NH. The show featured Sugar Ray Norcia, Poppa Chubby and Joe Lewis Walker. This was a new venue for me, and although I had called to ask about regulations on photography, I didn't get any useful information – go and find out.

The regulations were pretty lax and I was able to move around the auditorium a little. The lighting was quite dark and at ISO1600 and F2.0 my GH2 was getting top speeds of 1/50. The auditorium was large enough that I mostly used the Nikon 2.0/85 I picked up on ebay a couple of weeks ago. To a lesser degree, I used my trusty Takumar 1.4/50. The images from the Takumar are clearly better than the ones from the Nikon, but in fairness, with the Takumar I stopped down to 2.0 while with the Nikon I was shooting wide open. The Takumar is pretty crappy wide open, too.

All of the photos required some heavy handed corrections in Lightroom. I created a preset that cranked the Clarity up to 63, dropped the Tint to -65, added +30 Luminance Noise Suppresion and set the sharpening to 65/1/24/60. These are stronger settings than I typically use but add some pop to images that were otherwise a bit flat.

The music? Well, they were all good, but Poppa Chubby really impressed me. Not a pretty guy, but a heck of a performer. Catch him if you get a chance.

Sugar Ray Norcia
    More Show Photography

Poppa Chubby
    More Show Photography

Poppa Chubby
    More Show Photography

Joe Lewis Walker
    More Show Photography

JLW Band Members
    More Show Photography

Real Name
    Ian

Re: More Show Photography

For a venue, the lighting looks pretty bright. Obviously performers who are constantly moving are somewhat of a problem unless you actually make a feature of that movement. I like to capture the atmosphere, and often try to reduce the ISO. Ok less useable shots, but ones with more atmophere.

I think I can see a bit of movement in shot #1, whilst #2 would be my fave due to the lighting, but the mic leads unfortunately are distracting. I also wonder what some if the shots would look like using Nik(now Google) plugins?