Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 19th Century Like Western Town Architecture

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

19th Century Like Western Town Architecture

I have watched way too many American Westerns. I grew up dreaming of getting into gun fights with "bad guys." When I came across this image I immediately recognized it as right out of a Western movie -- at least in my imagination. Comments welcomed.

Karm

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: 19th Century Like Western Town Architecture

We watched the same movies.

Can I raise a point for discussion with which you and others may disagree. I wondered about cropping it just to the left of the top of those steps at the back; i.e. to remove them and the post in front of them. Why?

Because i think this is a wonderful study of lines and of the patterns and textures in the timber. And I think the big impact, in terms of those elements, is in the left-hand two thirds, or so, of the image. I think what's way over on the right at the back sort of dilutes those things.

Just a thought!

Real Name
    Richard

Karm, I definitely see what you saw regarding this looking like it is off a movie set for a Spagetti Western. However, what spoils the authenticity for me is that the panel, with the worn paint, in the front of the structure seems to be made of plywood.

Plywood used for construction is a fairly new material and really gets its basis in 1905, when in Portland Manufacturing Company, in Oregon, introduced plywood for the construction of structures for the 1905 World's Fair commemorating the centennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition...

OTOH, much of the American West was still a frontier in 1905 and the authenticity doesn't detract from this being a very nice image

Richard, you dirty dog, you noticed the plywood. I wanted to strangle (metaphorically) the folks who built this structure by screwing it up with an ugly piece of plywood -- even though it does add contrast to the image. I'm happy you still like the image.

Karm

Donald, I just held up a piece of cardboard to the screen and your suggested crop does more strongly focus the viewers attention on the pictures lines etc. However, what is sacrificed is the picture as a scene. Those stairs (in my imagination) leads to the Sheriff's office -- heck, there is even a "hangin" rope ready 24/7 so that when the good people of this town know someone is guilty of "killin" they can go straight to "hangin." I'll re-post with your suggestion.

Karm

Donald, definitely makes for a more focused image.

Karm