Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Underwater B&Ws

  1. #1
    ktuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,518
    Real Name
    Bill S

    Underwater B&Ws

    I recently bought the Nik bundle, so I've been playing with B&W, and I thought... why not underwater B&W's?

    Here's my first offerings...

    Underwater B&Ws

    When I showed this one to my wife, she wasn't overly impressed, but I really like how this one turned out. For some reason, I like that slight sepia tone to it. I think she didn't like it as much because she knows the original and how colorful it was, but I still like how this turned out even knowing the colorful original.

    Underwater B&Ws

    This one I am very happy with, I like how the B&W really reduces this image down to the structure of the fish. The scales and fin structure seem to be that much more accentuated by the B&W, and I like how that makes me contemplate the fish more as opposed to looking at its colors (and it is a nicely colored fish). Plus, there is something hypnotic about those big heavy dark eyes.

    Underwater B&Ws

    Here is where I start second guessing myself (and maybe I was forcing things a bit), but I think the thing that gets me the most on this image is the gradient of the water in the upper center. In the color version, it is much smoother and you don't notice it as much - here though, it looks rather unnatural. The rest of the image seems pretty good to me though.

    Underwater B&Ws

    If you've seen the original of this image, you know I like the dark feel of it, and how the shark seems to be coming out of the blackness. However, I think I might have pushed that effect just a tad too far with this B&W conversion. I'm also not 100% sure on how this made the eyes really pop out - I alternate from loving it to hating it.

    Well - how did I do? Should I continue converting more UW images to B&W?

    - Bill

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,025
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Underwater B&Ws

    Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    I recently bought the Nik bundle, so I've been playing with B&W, and I thought... why not underwater B&W's?
    Underwater B&Ws

    ... but I really like how this one turned out. For some reason, I like that slight sepia tone to it.
    So do I.

    Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    I think (your wife) didn't like it as much because she knows the original and how colorful it was, but I still like how this turned out even knowing the colorful original.
    I think the strength of this is that we really focus our attention on the subject and all the shapes and textures, all without the distraction of colour.

    Now, that is not being critical of colour. If we want the image to be colourful, then we make it in colour and it may well be wonderful. But making a B & W (toned or not) is about making a very different image. I know it's inevitable, but I don't think it's fair to compare the same photograph made into a colour image and made into a B & W. They're different things.

  3. #3
    Mark von Kanel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    1,861
    Real Name
    Mark

    Re: Underwater B&Ws

    As someone who does both underwater and topside stuff its interesting to note that although i love B&W top side i havnt even considered it for below side! your images have given me pause for thought.

    i obviously need to re address my pre conceptions!

  4. #4
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Rockingham, Western Australia
    Posts
    178
    Real Name
    Karl

    Re: Underwater B&Ws

    Not normally a fan of B&W but I like these and it is good to see someone do something different.

    Karl

  5. #5
    ktuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,518
    Real Name
    Bill S

    Re: Underwater B&Ws

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    So do I.


    I think the strength of this is that we really focus our attention on the subject and all the shapes and textures, all without the distraction of colour.

    Now, that is not being critical of colour. If we want the image to be colourful, then we make it in colour and it may well be wonderful. But making a B & W (toned or not) is about making a very different image. I know it's inevitable, but I don't think it's fair to compare the same photograph made into a colour image and made into a B & W. They're different things.
    Donald,

    Considering you produce some of the finest B&W images on the forums I frequent, I take this as quite the compliment... thank you!

    I am particularly pleased that you selected the one that you did to comment on. I've received a lot 'I like the color one better' comments on it, and I have felt the exact same way you have - that the two stand alone and are not really comparable. It really makes me feel validated to hear you say the exact same things!

    Thanks!

    - Bill

  6. #6
    ktuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,518
    Real Name
    Bill S

    Re: Underwater B&Ws

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    As someone who does both underwater and topside stuff its interesting to note that although i love B&W top side i havnt even considered it for below side! your images have given me pause for thought.

    i obviously need to re address my pre conceptions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Not normally a fan of B&W but I like these and it is good to see someone do something different.

    Karl
    I am glad you both liked these - I am glad that different works in this case! I'll have to process some more in the near future.

    - Bill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •