Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Vermilion Lake

Real Name
    Jason

Vermilion Lake

the picture was taken in Banff National Park, I like it but not satifsfied with the composition. Please help me to improve the composition.
    vermilion-lake.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by northstars; 6th April 2013 at 03:25 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Vermilion Lake

That's a great shot Jason, lovely light and reflection. We visited that area last summer and it's a wonderful spot for photography. It's nice to see a winter shot from this area. I don't know whether the lake freezes completely over but the timimg of this shot is good because you have enough water for relections and yet there is also enough ice to add interest.

I get really envious of you people loving near this area

I think the composition is pretty good. About the only thing I would suggest you consider is changing the aspect ratio to say 16:9 rather than 3:2 to give a more panoramic look. I thought about achieving this with a crop but there's nothing in the image I would want to lose. But you could try keeping the whole image but just re-sizing to change the aspect ratio. I'm not always a big fan of doing this because it can lead to un-natural results but in this case it might work. By the way, it would be good if we could see a larger version of this image - say 1500 wide.

Nice work. Hope you have some more from this beautiful part of the world.

Dave

I suspect your problem, Jason, is having the 'horizon' half way up the vertical. So a crop to lose part of either sky or foreground is needed.

Probably, I would reduce the foreground slightly. Something along the lines of Dave's suggestions would be worth trying.

Or take a fraction from the bottom and left side.

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    That's a great shot Jason, lovely light and reflection. We visited that area last summer and it's a wonderful spot for photography. It's nice to see a winter shot from this area. I don't know whether the lake freezes completely over but the timimg of this shot is good because you have enough water for relections and yet there is also enough ice to add interest.

I get really envious of you people loving near this area

I think the composition is pretty good. About the only thing I would suggest you consider is changing the aspect ratio to say 16:9 rather than 3:2 to give a more panoramic look. I thought about achieving this with a crop but there's nothing in the image I would want to lose. But you could try keeping the whole image but just re-sizing to change the aspect ratio. I'm not always a big fan of doing this because it can lead to un-natural results but in this case it might work. By the way, it would be good if we could see a larger version of this image - say 1500 wide.

Nice work. Hope you have some more from this beautiful part of the world.

Dave
    Thanks Dave for the nice commons and suggestions. The photo was taken in Feb this year and the lake was frozen partly. I’d like to post 1500 at long side but this site only allows me 700.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by northstars View Post
    Thanks Dave for the nice commons and suggestions. The photo was taken in Feb this year and the lake was frozen partly. I’d like to post 1500 at long side but this site only allows me 700.
    Jason there are various ways to post an image here as described in this thread.

I think you've probably used the Attachment method which does limit you to 700 wide. However if you use the TinyPic method you can post one 1500 wide.

Dave

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I suspect your problem, Jason, is having the 'horizon' half way up the vertical. So a crop to lose part of either sky or foreground is needed.

Probably, I would reduce the foreground slightly. Something along the lines of Dave's suggestions would be worth trying.

Or take a fraction from the bottom and left side.
    Thanks Geoff. I crop the bottom and ration at 16:9 to see how is it look.
    vermilion-lake.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Jason

Look at 1024 size
    Vermilion Lake

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Jason:
    Love your last cut on it. I'm heading there in September. Are the Vermillion Lakes better in early morning or near sunset?

Real Name
    Jason

This is a rare spot that looks good all times of the day and in any season. Most photographer prefer evening light as the sun paints warm light on the western face of wedge-shaped Mount Rundle. For me the end of September and the begining of the October is the best time. There is a ebook in this website to show you where and when to shoot Banff NP,
    http://oopoomoo.com/ebooks/our-ebooks/
    I like go to Oahu to take photos.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneohebud View Post
    Jason:
    Love your last cut on it. I'm heading there in September. Are the Vermillion Lakes better in early morning or near sunset?

The crops seem to have a better 'balance' for me.