Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightroom and Operating System

Real Name
    John

Lightroom and Operating System

Anyone using Lightroom or Elements with Windows 8 yet?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Lightroom and Operating System

Yes, my wife has been running Lightroom 4 on her Windows 8 laptop since December. She's not a heavy user, but has not had any issues.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Yes, my wife has been running Lightroom 4 on her Windows 8 laptop since December. She's not a heavy user, but has not had any issues.
    Thanks Manfred, looking at purchasing a new laptop and most offer Windows 8, if I can find a system still running Windows 7 I will go that route. Also, I figure I might as well get a touch screen capable system when and if Windows 7 is no longer supported. Regarding the Photoshop series, Adobe didn't list Windows 8 compatibility so I wanted to be sure before purchasing.

Real Name
    Bill

I do,but I have only used it on windows 8 as I'm new to lightroom so I can't tell you if it works better or worse on win 8 or better .Btw no need to be fearful of win 8 it's easy to use and works well for me.It only took me a little while to figure it out

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by billm View Post
    I do,but I have only used it on windows 8 as I'm new to lightroom so I can't tell you if it works better or worse on win 8 or better .Btw no need to be fearful of win 8 it's easy to use and works well for me.It only took me a little while to figure it out
    My only concern with Win 8, besides not being compatible with printers/scanners (issue I had when I purchased a Win 7 system) was the touch screen and I figured why buy a system without this function when Win 8 is built around that capability. i was reading the system requirements for Lightroom and Elements and noticed Wiin 8 wasn't mentioned, so this was a concern. Thanks for the information.

Real Name
    Allen Conway

I scream at my wife if her finger gets too close for comfort to one of my screens. I don't see how a touch screen can be compatible with Photoshop. Windows 8, anyway, is a 2 mode OS - either you use the conventional Windows paradigm or you adopt the mobile phone/tablet paradigm. For the moment at least you can choose. You certainly don't need a touch screen. Windows 8 is not selling all that well, so it may be a good idea to wait for Windows 9 to come along to see where Microsoft ends up going. By then there may be more touch screens to choose between too.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I scream at my wife if her finger gets too close for comfort to one of my screens. ................................... Windows 8 is not selling all that well, so it may be a good idea to wait for Windows 9 to come along to see where Microsoft ends up going. By then there may be more touch screens to choose between too.
    Yes, does seem Win 8 ain't doing well.

[Kawai so ni................. Okusan wa. ]

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I scream at my wife if her finger gets too close for comfort to one of my screens. I don't see how a touch screen can be compatible with Photoshop. Windows 8, anyway, is a 2 mode OS - either you use the conventional Windows paradigm or you adopt the mobile phone/tablet paradigm. For the moment at least you can choose. You certainly don't need a touch screen. Windows 8 is not selling all that well, so it may be a good idea to wait for Windows 9 to come along to see where Microsoft ends up going. By then there may be more touch screens to choose between too.
    I checked two of my local electronic outlets, one is advertising Win 8 based systems and the other Win 7. I'll opt for the Win 7 system, I typically skip a generation of OS if I can, went from Win 98 to WinXP to Win7, skipped everything in between.

Real Name
    Martin

Using LR4 and Elements 11 on a laptop running Windows 8... no problems noted, but not a "super user"

Real Name
    Grant

I have been using Lightroom 4 with Windows 8 for a couple of months after receiving some good advice from this forum. I have catalogued some 10s of thousands of photos and I love the Lightroom catalogue, library and collection systems but still use Photoshop for edits. I have had no problems whatsoever.
    Grant

Real Name
    John

Thanks for the feedback Grant and Martin. Do you like the touchscreen format of Win8?

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Grant and Martin. Do you like the touchscreen format of Win8?
    I can't say I do... but then again, I installed Windows 8 on a netbook that had been running XP because LR4 wouldn't run on XP. When 8 boots up I'm presented with a screen full of icons, obviously optimized for a touch screen. A couple of mouse clicks and I'm presented with the usual (sort of) looking desktop.

I haven't quite figured out how to get 8 to go directly to the desktop view and it's still a bit of a challenge for me to figure out where things are.... open/close/resize/power off etc.

My son just bought a new(no touch screen) laptop (with 8 installed) and has no such issues... he seems to like it just fine.

Real Name
    Adrian

It works fine but Windows 8 is slow to use on any computer that does not have a good ten finger touch screen. Lightroom 4 is perfectly OK on Win 8 equipped touch screen computers. As a heavy computer user I would strongly advocate not using win8 without a touch screen if you want to work quickly. Win8 is tablet friendly not especially laptop friendly in my experience.

Real Name
    John

This link might help ease some of the issues. Microsoft started irking me with version 7 and the ever interruptive intuitive interface, which was designed to anticipate my every need and thoughts with popups that I didn't want. Reminds me of the joke by Daniel Tosh that Google was ruining his relationship (when he allowed his girlfriend to use his computer) by anticipating his search needs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Win...uts,21728.html

Real Name
    John

Now I just have to get used to Lightroom. Not as user friendly as Elements or even Photoshop.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Now I just have to get used to Lightroom. Not as user friendly as Elements or even Photoshop.
    Persevere John and you will find LR very rewarding I'm sure. It took a while for me to get my head round it but I just love now.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Clactonian View Post
    Persevere John and you will find LR very rewarding I'm sure. It took a while for me to get my head round it but I just love now.
    I will try. I just need to get my hands on a Scott Kelby text.

Real Name
    Robin

You could buy a Mac - no touch - no tiles - no compatibility issues - it just works.

I don't understand why Microsoft are pushing a touch interface on a computer, try holding your arms out straight for half an hour and you'll be in agony, its barmy. Touch works on a horizontal surface and on smaller surface when you're not flailing about like a loony.

Real Name
    Grant

John,
    I don't use the Windows 8 interface and touch screen. There is a plugin that makes it look like Windows 7 or XP and I find that more useful plus I don't get a whole lot of sticky fingermarks that make editing photos problematic. As for learning Lightroom the hardest part was figuring out exactly what it does. Once you understand how to set up and maintain a catalogue the rest is fairly easy. Adobe.com has plenty of informative videos and whenever I find something I don't understand I just do a Google search for a suitable UTube video. Faster than struggling through a book.
    Grant

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by mastamak View Post
    John,
    I don't use the Windows 8 interface and touch screen. There is a plugin that makes it look like Windows 7 or XP and I find that more useful plus I don't get a whole lot of sticky fingermarks that make editing photos problematic. As for learning Lightroom the hardest part was figuring out exactly what it does. Once you understand how to set up and maintain a catalogue the rest is fairly easy. Adobe.com has plenty of informative videos and whenever I find something I don't understand I just do a Google search for a suitable UTube video. Faster than struggling through a book.
    Grant
    Hi Grant,

Is the plugin Microsoft sanctioned or am I using at my own risk?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast