Thread: Web Ready Camera Sales

Real Name
    Andrew

Real Name
    John

Re: Web Ready Camera Sales

Andrew,

I've never researched the capability, but wonder how wifi would handle 200 RAW images, how fast to upload, download. My current needs would be tranferring at least 200 images daily and that would be dependent on travel schedule. As a daily option I wouldn't really need it as I would have access to my laptop.

Real Name
    Andrew

Because these cameras are primarily marketed for dropping photos on social websites rather than downloading to your home for printing I would imagine the camera has the capability for the person to set the size similar to the Windows program's Large, Medium and Small and doing so at a resolution of 72 or 90 or ?. Sending full sized raw images while on vacation is sure to bog down the local Starbucks response time. Perhaps someone here with one of the wifi capable dslr's can offer some observations.

Real Name
    Robin

You will see this more and more in the compact camera market where it makes most sense.

My Samsung Galaxy Camera can connect via Wi-Fi or 3G if you bung a sim card in it. It was launched at the end of November in the UK and if I recall my branch of Jessops sold over 70 in December alone. That was a mix of my staff pushing them but a lot of the sales came from genuine enquiries. Bare in mind its a £400 compact and thats a big number.
    I have it signed into Dropbox so as soon as it sniffs out the Wi-Fi at home it starts uploading. I know when I go to the computer the shots I took that day will be ready to access - pretty cool.

Real Name
    John

My camera D3200 has what is called Eye-Fi Upload and requires a special card to upload images. I've never researched the capability as I usually use a card reader. What would impress me more would be one that could upload to a secondary storage device (DVD burner) so I could unclutter my laptop harddrive.

Real Name
    Adrian

We are trialling a Canon D6 currently, which has built in wi-fi connectability. We are using it for video and stills in the office and it will download the workflow to our server system during use. It is not lightening quick (i.e. it is not a tethering equivalent or anything remotely close) but it is useful and more than a mere gimmick. Much faster and more seamless than wi-fi built into camera cards in my experience.

Adrian

Real Name
    John