Thread: Old Homestead

Real Name
    Allan Short

Old Homestead

This is an image I took of the orginal house on the farm, it is no longer in use as you can guess, it is just a frame with clapboard sideing. I love the deep colour of the wood and the great detail that is seen in the wood and the tin roof.

Cheers:

Allan

Old Homestead

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Old Homestead

A place where, most likely, children laughed and played (I know I'm just an old romantic!). Life was maybe pretty tough for folks who lived there.

I always find that the challenge for an image like this is 'working the location' to get the best angles and compositions. I think I could probably spend hours with that old building! I wondered about trying for a shot that tried to get those trees at the back right into a less prominent place in the frame. The other thing I find dragging my eye away from the house is that bit of scrap at the bottom right-hand corner. I think I migth have tried to exclude it, or, as is probably more likely given it's position and you were stuck with it, move it more into frame to make it a central part of the story. At the moment it looks as if it's there because it was in the way.

Hope those ramblings provide you with some food for thought.

Real Name
    Greg

Allan, great subject: I love the wood and iron, too. I think this shot just begs for an 'aged' affect to enhance the atmosphere of the place. ie maybe the kind of thing Sharon (DaisyMae) does.

*This image definitely should be viewed in the larger format.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Excellent job of bringing out the detail!

This is the sort of building that I could probably spend days photographing. There are so many possibilities, as Donald mentioned. I would especially have fun making some close-up detail photos. I also see a possibility of using a wide-angle lens in a position near the ground with the tire and junk in the foreground with the house looming upward behind the pile.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Thanks for the comments, I had to shoot from the roadside, as this is still a working farm, just to the left side of the image just out of sight is the the main barn and to the right and closer is the main house. Greg I agree that something to the aged affect that Sharon does is beyond me as to how she does it.

Cheers:

Allan

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Allan, why don't you give us a photograph of what you love? You state that you love the wood and tin. Try moving in closer to give us a peek of what you find beautiful in this image. What I see now is a scene of an abandoned house. Nothing wrong with that but it's not what you find appealing about this image.

Karm

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I really like this old building. The aged and weathered wood, rusting tin and general state of decay make it an very attractive subject. Good capture.

My only comments suggest maybe pulling back a bit to get the building in full, including the left side and the bit of junk in the front right. This is definitely worth revisiting as I will be interested in seeing the building in varying seasons and with a sky that has some cloud detail. Minor quibbles really.

Old building really interest me as subjects. Seeing as I will not make it out to Ontario; I am counting on you to act as my proxy and submit more images of this one.