Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ardbeg Uigeadail

Real Name
    Jimmy

Ardbeg Uigeadail

I should preface this with this comment. i have absolutely nothing equipment wise regarding lighting and i have very little access to natural light with my work schedule.

was reading about shutter effects and i figured id try something silly. I took that picture with the following specs in my basement with no lights on armed with my faithful mag-lite

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
    Model - E-420
    ExposureTime - 10 seconds
    FNumber - 16.00
    ExposureProgram - Manual control
    ISOSpeedRatings - 100
    MeteringMode - Multi-segment
    Flash - Flash - Flash not fired
    FocalLength - 20 mm

C&C are very welcome!

Ardbeg Uigeadail

Edit: I must add that i'm currently drinking my subject matter and the night keeps getting better and better!
    Last edited by JimG; 3rd April 2013 at 03:34 AM. Reason: little joke ;)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Ardbeg Uigeadail

Islay whiskies are a little too peaty (flavour of peat is very definite) for my taste, but my friend who has Islay connections (and calls his house Ardbeg) is a devoted follower and consumer of Ardbeg.

As to the picture, am wondering if the top of the bottle and box being cut off weakens a bit?
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd April 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

It goes to show you that you can have a light set up that does not require expensive strobes, light boxes, etc to start with … Maglites rule!

I would agree with Donald about the top of the frame. Since the bottom is dark, it looks bottom heavy. if there was more of the brighter backdrop above the box & bottle, the product itself will stand out more. I think it would balance the image better visually. I might also move the edge of the backdrop more to the left so there is no line in the image. Cleans it up. The wrinkles in the canvas give it texture and I think it looks good. What do you think?

Looking at the image again… Im wondering if the box itself should be removed- two labels feels redundant visually? Guess this set up gives you a lot of options to play with. I keep coming back to this image because I like it. It makes me want try what you did.
    Last edited by Harpo; 3rd April 2013 at 12:19 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Considering the amount of time I spend ensuring that clear glass indeed appears clear and devoid of unwanted reflection though displays highly defined edges, your lighting setup accomplished all of that almost perfectly. Congratulations!

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Islay whiskies are a little too peaty (flavour of peat is very definite) for my taste, but my friend who has Islay connections (and calls his house Ardbeg) is a devoted follower and consumer of Ardbeg.

As to the picture, am wondering if the top of the bottle and box being cut off weakens a bit?
    Thanks for your comment Donald! I completely agree that the top of the bottle/box missing hurt the picture. i didn't realize it yesterday. I was in fact at the top of my makeshift backdrop which i was planning on fixing tonight!

As far as Ardbeg goes, I just noticed you are from Lowlands, i will use something from that regions for my next subject tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    It goes to show you that you can have a light set up that does not require expensive strobes, light boxes, etc to start with … Maglites rule!
    Thank you for all the comments Mike! While you are right about light box, before last week i had never had a camera or taken pictures so i need a bit more time to convince my better half that this is a worthwhile investment haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Looking at the image again… Im wondering if the box itself should be removed- two labels feels redundant visually? Guess this set up gives you a lot of options to play with. I keep coming back to this image because I like it. It makes me want try what you did.
    Regarding the box, i mainly kept it to have a different texture then Glass but you are definitely right about the label being redundant, thankfully, most of the time, the labels are at different height on the bottle and the boxes, ill see how it goes with my next subject!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Considering the amount of time I spend ensuring that clear glass indeed appears clear and devoid of unwanted reflection though displays highly defined edges, your lighting setup accomplished all of that almost perfectly. Congratulations!
    Thanks you very much, truly appreciated

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Hi Jimmy. I think the box makes it look like an advertisement. If that's your point then keep it. If you wanted to capture the mood of a man's evening pleasure then I would eliminate the box.

Karm

Real Name
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    Hi Jimmy. I think the box makes it look like an advertisement. If that's your point then keep it. If you wanted to capture the mood of a man's evening pleasure then I would eliminate the box.

Karm
    Legit... i will try again without

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post

Karm
    I actually like the effect of seeing the label through the glass. That might be more difficult to realise with just the bottle and the glass composition wise.
    The background distracts me a bit, part lighting, part edges. There are shadows on the right and the left side shouldn't be visible. And it is obviously a background that you put there. Given the size of the background it will be difficult to create distance between background and subject, but if you do that and use a lower aperture you might get a nicer soft focus. Donald also mentioned the top of the bottle, which I agree with.

Superb contents in the glass. It has my complete attention.